Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:31 PM
I have a Dell Vostro 1000 that is loaded with Windows XP Home SP3. It had the XP Security 2012 virus on it. The infection was so bad, it would shut the computer down as soon as it got to the desktop. So, I did the following in an attempt to clean the virus:
1. Took the hard drive out and attached it via EZ-Dock to another computer
2. Scanned & cleaned using MalwareBytes
3. Scanned & quarantined using Avast
4. Scanned & cleaned using SuperAntiSpyware Free edition
5. Put the drive back in the computer, booted up to the blue stop screen, said there was a hard drive problem.
6. Created a new boot.ini, boot sector, etc. using recovery console.
7. Still blue stop screen as soon as it got to Windows screen.
8. Repaired Windows using CD
9. Booted to Windows, but got error that the control.exe was missing.
10. Ran sfc/scannow
11. Booted to Windows, but got error that WinDLL.exe (I think) was missing.
12. Tried to boot to safe mode to run the scans again, but it keeps shutting down as soon as it gets to windows.
I see the instructions for using the FixNCR reg and the RKill, but I can't get it to stay booted long enough to run those. I can put it back on the EZ Dock, but I don't know how to run these programs if it's an external(not the boot) drive.
Any help would be appreciated!