Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing internet connection randomly for very brief periods

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xneoangel

xneoangel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

Hi guys i've been recently having an issue with one PC on my house which i can't seem to fix.

I lose my internet connection for no reason for very brief (about 1-5 secs) periods, i noticed it because my browser IE8 says something about losing connection to the server and then it automatically refreshes all my tabs, i tried to use firefox 4 and it has the same problem, because of this i can't download any files bigger than 20mb or so, which is quite annoying.

My modem is located on another PC and the internet connection is being shared over my local network, i am confident that there are no problems with my modem or my router as the other PC's on my house work just fine.

I've already tried reinstalling IE and firefox, also reinstalling my network adapter drivers and scanning my PC with NOD32, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spybot Search & Destroy and Lavasoft Ad-Aware and i'm still facing the problem.

Additional Info:
Firewall: Windows Firewall
AV: Eset NOD32

I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer as i can't locate the cause for this issue.

Thanks in advance,
xneoangel

Edited by boopme, 22 June 2011 - 07:40 PM.
Moved to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

If it's possible, here are some basic troubleshooting steps:

1) Is the problem computer a wired ethernet connection to the router, or wireless? If it's wired, try switching the ethernet cable with one of the working computers. If that doesn't fix it try another port on the router or switch (one you know works). If the connection is wireless, connect the computer via ethernet cable. These steps will rule out the actual network connections itself, especially since you have other computers working with no problems.

2) If step one didn't find the problem, compare all your network settings with a working PC. You can find most of the pertinent info in XP by going to control panel, network connections, Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection, then right click and select status and then support tab. Make sure both computers have valid IP addresses. Make sure that the problem computer isn't statically assigned an IP address that exists on another computer or network device (printer, NAS, etc)

If you can provide more details from the above steps, we might be able to find it.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users