Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP to Ubuntu file transfer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Codone

Codone

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

So, me and a buddy of mine installed Ubuntu on our PC's.
He did a full wipe and only has Ubuntu
I have Windows XP and Ubuntu, since I have World of Warcraft data on my Windows installation.
We have been having a ridiculously rough time trying to figure out how to get WoW onto both our PC's without havin to download it all again since it is a whopping 24 gig total.
Does anyone have any idea on where we should look? or any suggestions on what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:09 AM

I'm not quite sure what you're asking: how to access the Windows drive on your machine from within you Ubuntu install, or how to transfer files from your machine (with XP running) to your friend's Ubuntu machine.

For the first possibility, Ubuntu should have automatically recognized the XP partitions(s) and made them available under the /media/ directory. Transferring files should be as simple as dragging and dropping.

To transfer data across a local network (not the internet) from a Windows machine to an Ubuntu machine, you can use an application called Samba (how to install Samba on Ubuntu.) Once Samba is up and running, you ought to be able to see any Windows machines connected to your LAN by selecting the "Network" place in the Places menu (or by manually entering smb:/// into the address bar of your file manager:
Posted Image

#3 Codone

Codone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

Thank you so much!
We tried to drag and drop but we would always run into files that wouldnt completely copy over and be like 0-250 bytes. but after selecting them 1 by 1 they copied just fine

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users