Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defrag disk repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trick3x

Trick3x

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

Hello, I'm relatively new to these forums but i do not know where to place this thread. so i'll place it here since i have a windows 7. basicly My C: Drive is getting rather full and even though i have uninstalled some files it does not free up space. so I was wondering if defraging my c: drive would be a good idea and how precisely to do it without causing dameage to my pc. I remember that in the past, with a different computer, i used ccleaner thinking it would be easy to use.i ended up royally screwing that computer up damaging the registry. i am determined to not have that happen again as my laptop is my most important item i own....well second to my car. so can someone clearly explain how to properly defrag a computer and maybe how to use ccleaner as a bonus? thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

in the past, with a different computer, i used ccleaner thinking it would be easy to use.i ended up royally screwing that computer up damaging the registry

So, the lesson about playing with registry has been learned :)

Now, defrag will not free any space. It'll make files being more organized (being in whole pieces, instead of being in parts all over hard drive), so the computer can access them faster.
However, in case of Windows 7 (also Vista), defragmenter is running in the background by default, so unless you turned it off, you shouldn't have any need to run it manually.

You may simply need bigger drive.
How big is your hard drive?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Trick3x

Trick3x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:35 AM

i have 2 main drives that going into my computer shows. My C: drive is 75 gb and my D: is 206 gb. the problem is i dont know how to access the D: drive hence use it

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

The D drive could be the recovery drive. Recovery drives allow you to restore the computer to factory conditions. Most computer manufacturers use this instead of giving disks for a reinstall of the operating system.

If your D drive is the recovery drive, you don't need to mess with that.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

D: is 206 gb

At that size, it's not likely to be a recovery partition.

i dont know how to access the D

It doesn't show in Windows Explorer?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users