Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unhide.exe - A introduction as to what this program does

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#16 phatkookiez

phatkookiez

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

grinler. i love you soo much! i would have never found my files again if it wasn't for this. i removed the virus as soon as i found it. I honestly don't trust anti-viruses, anti-malwares, anti-spywares,etc. unless i know that i personnally downloaded. and i know all hte antis i downloaded. Iobit,avg(i know it's not that good, but it's an extra helping hand), super spyware, etc. After i went through the trouble of getting the virus off my computer, everything was gone. I totally thought i should have backed up all my desktop backgrounds. It looked soo plain to not have any backgrounds and i was sad. i was also witness to my program data folder dissapearing after i refreshed. I knew it was still somewhere in my computer since my hardrive space didn't change at all.(honestly speaking. i'm running out of harddrive space. might have been better if those files have been deleted.) and i know it should have changed it anything got deleted on my desktop. I have folders that go up to 10 gb on my desktop. I was overjoyed to have everything restored to the way they were. ALSO!!!! theres something new too!!! aero works on my taskbar now. That's a HUGE HUGEEEEEEEEEE BONUS!!!! I couldn't get it to work forever. this guide was my enlightment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

Yes

#18 jordan913

jordan913

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

Hello I am new to the forum and first wish to say unhide.exe is the best. Just wish to know after you use unhide can u go back and hide files again. thanks for help

#19 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

Yup, after you use unhide, feel free to go back and change your settings as to which types of files hsould be visible.

#20 Gramps33

Gramps33

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

I have been running unhide from about 9:00Pm Monday till Tuesday at 2:00am and its still running and doing its thing on my ancient 40gig HP laptop. Side affect seems to be that my HP is running faster than it has in ages. If unhide.exe is still Processing when I get up in the morning, what should I do?? Great program ! ! ! Thanks for your Help. Gramps33

PS: Coincidently at 2:10AM Tuesday Morning unhide.exe quit doing its thing. Thanx again

Edited by Gramps33, 26 July 2011 - 02:11 AM.

#21 lebeljd

lebeljd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

I also received the Parse Error, but Unhide appears to have worked. I have 3 hard drives (C, D, E) and I saw the Processing message for all three drives, followed by the Parse Error. I can't be 100% positive yet, but it seems all of my files and desktop shortcuts have been restored (adding Recycle Bin back to the desktop is easily done manually). I hope this helps you to troubleshoot.
Thanks, John

#22 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the info.

#23 mswedarski

mswedarski

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:17 AM

Grinler,

Just an FYI - VIPRE is reporting unhide.exe as bad. Claims it's an adware installer.

#24 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:56 AM

Thanks. I will reach out to them.

#25 tiffanyfitts69

tiffanyfitts69

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

how do i get rid of the rogue spyware popping up?

#26 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:11 AM

Wow, it must be hard to make a good program!
Good job ;)

#27 bikedude

bikedude

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:45 AM

Hi,
I had the "system repair" infection on XP Pro SP3 on an HP Pavilion.
Thanks for the instructions on how to recover my "Start Menu" and "Desktop" items by copying the contents from "%Temp%\smtmp".
However it didn't all go back to working normally after that: I found that the attributes on almost all the folders and files on my whole system (C:) drive were set to "hidden" and "read-only". Only after I went through and un-checked all of these files/folders did the "Start Menu" show up, icons re-appeared in my "tray", and Favorites showed up in IE again.

What I'm not seeing is my "Desktop"; even though all the icons are in that folder, my "Desktop" is still big, blue and blank. It almost seems as if my Desktop is "unlinked" from my account profile or something. What do I need to do get it working again?

Thanks!

#28 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

Download the follow reg file to your desktop and double-click on it. Allow the data to be merged. Then reboot. If you still have no desktop also go into your display properties and change your wallpaper/background to something else.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/reg/FixDesktop.reg

#29 Proxy

Proxy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:26 AM

Ok, I just got this infection yesterday that hid all my shortcuts and folders in the start menu. Avast did'nt pick up the infection, but Vipre did! I think I have been able to remove the trojan, but still could not restore the settings. But now I've used your guide and progamme(unhide) and everything seems to be back to normal. Thank you so much.

However I went back to the folder settings and told it to hide the folders again, which it did for the most part, but on my desktop I have a lot of tmp. files that I don't know what to do with, don't suppose I can just delete them? Or should i just create a folder for them?

Again, thank you very much, has been a big help!

best regards

#30 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

Can you provide some filesnames of these .tmp files? My guess is you can delete them but don't want to state that unless I know some examples names.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users