Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Repartition And Win Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adh_amit

adh_amit

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:15 AM

Hello All,
I have three partitions on my hard drive : C(9.75 GB), D and E making up 37 GB.
C is my system drive in which Win XP is installed while D and E have data which I don't want to lose.
I have often seen that if a worm/spyware comes to my computer, I have to format C drive and I end up losing any data if I store there.So, I want to repartition C into C1 and C2 so that C1 can be system drive and has only around 4 GB to host OS and I can free up the remaining around 5 GB for more data.
Can you tell me how this can be done?
Since C is sytem drive, disk mgmt won't let me touch that and if I try installing Xp on any of other drives,removing that cleanly afterwards is an issue (I believe Win Xp cannot be uninstalled, drive has to be formatted, is this right?)

Thanks in advance and wish you all a happy 2006.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:37 PM

Probably the easiest way to do this is to format and repartition the C:\ drive using fdisk on a boot floppy. Then you'll have to reinstall Windows on the drive that you want it on. BUT, I don't think that this is a great solution to your situation.

As you add stuff to your system, Windows will grow, and may eventually outgrow this partition. Also, you're going to have to tell every program that you install that it can't install to the C:\ drive.

I'd suggest that you point your data storage to your D and E drivers. That will keep your data all in one place.

Then, to preserve your C drive, use a program like Digital Dolly (available for free from here: http://www.download.com/3000-2248-10220909.html ) to make an image of your hard drive. That way, if the C drive goes down, you'll be able to reimage your C drive and will be back up and running in no time at all!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 adh_amit

adh_amit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:40 PM

Hey, thanks for your reply.. but I have some bad news..
I created a windows startup floopy disk and tried to use fdisk from there..It said unknown command.
I searched a little in Windows help and it tell me that new version of fdisk is diskpart and is only available from recovery console.
Now, recolvery console for existing xp is no use since it does sllow me to repartition C: drive being a system drive.
I think the solution now is to boot from another XP CD, use the recovery console from there and then repartition drives.
I have a few questions..
1.If I have XP setup CD, can I add few more files to it to make it bootable?I tried adding the files from startup floppy but that doesn't work.
2.If I use digital dolly in future, how much will be the size og the image backup we are talking about?
3. All this started with my browsing issues.After I upgraded to XP, I cannot use open in new window option.Only a blank new window opens or I get a script error.Is there any solution other than reload the OS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users