Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting an old HDD into a new computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DGZDragoon

DGZDragoon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

Hello,
Thank you all in advance for your help.

Specs of current PC:
ASUS P5G41-M LE/CSM mATX LGA775 G41/ICH7 DDR2 PCI-E16 PCI-E 2XPCI SATA GBLAN Audio Video Motherboard
E8400 dual core processor
550W Coolermaster PSU
3GB of crap ddr2 ram
Seagate Barracude 1TB HDD
Another random 160GB HDD
If anything else is needed, let me know.

Basically, I have an old computer which no longer works (I've narrowed it down to the motherboard of video card). It will startup without any error beeps, but will not display anything. I've tried replacing the battery, resetting CMOS, using a different PSU, and using a different monitor.
I would like to get the information off of the old IDE Maxtor 80GB (I think? Might even be less) hard drive, and put it onto my current PC. Would it be possible to just plug it in? Would I need an IDE -> Sata converter? Are there any risks? I don't really want to spend that much money, but I can spend what's absolutely necessary.
The old drive also has an older version of windows installed.

Thank you very much.

Edited by DGZDragoon, 20 June 2011 - 07:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

i searched you board,it has one ide connection ,located next to the main power plugin,just hook it to that and windows should load the drive

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 DGZDragoon

DGZDragoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

I forgot to mention earlier that this computer has a different version of windows installed than the old HDD. Will that cause any problems? Sorry, it completely passed my mind earlier.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

You can install the drive internally as a "slave" just do not boot from it.

Another method you may consider is to pickup an External Hard Drive Enclosure. Which would allow you to transfer the data from the old drive to the new drives without ever opening the case. When you're done just remove the Hard drive from the enclosure and save them for later use. I've used my external enclosure with at least 10 different drives. Saves alot of hassle if you have multiple back up or old internal hard drives.

Posted Image

#5 DGZDragoon

DGZDragoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

Thank you very much for the reply, BlackSpyder!

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=43264
Would this work? I don't have much experience with storage. I can pricematch it down quite a bit, so I'm not really worried about the price of this enclosure.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Thank you very much for the reply, BlackSpyder!

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=43264
Would this work? I don't have much experience with storage. I can pricematch it down quite a bit, so I'm not really worried about the price of this enclosure.

that would work ,if you just want it to hook drive to so you can retrieve files off th drive ,but something like this one would be better if you plan on using the drive for storage ;
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1337265&Sku=V13-3210

#7 DGZDragoon

DGZDragoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

I was mostly just wanting to move the files. I already have an external and more than enough storage in my desktop.
Thanks to both of you for the very fast help!

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

I was mostly just wanting to move the files. I already have an external and more than enough storage in my desktop.
Thanks to both of you for the very fast help!

your welcome
ok so you don't really need one ,just hook a ati ribbon cable to the drive,and the connection on your motherboard ,remove any jumpers from the drive,[located between the power plug and the ribbon cable on the drive] and and copy off the files ,doesn't matter what windows is on the old drive ,

Edited by caperjac, 23 June 2011 - 05:45 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

<<...remove any jumpers from the drive...>>

I wouldn't do that, some enclosures specifically state what the jumper setting should be, IME.

Louis

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

then if they do don't take it off ,the reason i said that was because as we spoke i was trying to use one on a ide drive ,that would only read the drive when i took jumper off cable select ,tried master no go,took it off and it worked ,good luck

<<...remove any jumpers from the drive...>>

I wouldn't do that, some enclosures specifically state what the jumper setting should be, IME.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users