Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Edition To Xp Professional ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:24 AM

:thumbsup:
Hello, here I am again with a question.

I have a computer running Windows XP home addition, works fine, no known problems at all.
I have been bought a copy of XP Professional, can this be installed by overwriting Home edition, OR, do I need to uninstall Home edition then install professional ?

Many thanks for any advise;.

Tony. :flowers:

Edited by Bonneville, 09 January 2006 - 06:25 AM.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jmatt

jmatt

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:22 AM

You have nothing to lose by trying this way, if it dos'nt work start afresh.

Upgrade XP Home to Pro
You can do an unattend installation of XP:
Insert a legit XP-Pro CD into your CD-ROM.
If the Welcome to Microsoft Windows screen comes up, click EXIT
Leave the CD in drive.
Now click
START
RUN
Type into the Open Line: D:\i386\winnt32.exe /unattend
And click OK. If your CD-ROM is not D, then replace D with your CD-ROM letter.
The only question that will be asked is the Product key.
If you just reinstall same Windows, it will ask NO questions at all. Now you need to activate.
All settings and installed programs will be saved and unchanged.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:30 PM

The exact procedure will (IMO) depend on the status of your XP Home installation.

If there are problems with your XP Home installation, I'd suggest a clean install (to keep from importing your old problems to the new OS).

But, if eveything is working just fine, there should be no problems with upgrading the installation.

I mention this because I upgraded my wife's system from XP Home to XP Pro (using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and moving from one computer to another). There was a glitch in the process that left an irritating blink in the cursor that we haven't been able to fix in over a year of trying.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users