Yes, ESET cleaned your external, it's a very thorough and extremely good online scanner - it does take some time though.
Let's do the clear up now, restore points and various tools will be dealt with here.You're clean. Good stuff! Let's do some clearing up
If you used DeFogger now is the time to enable your CD emulation software again.Uninstall ComboFix
Remove Combofix now that we're done with it.
- Please press the Windows Key and R on your keyboard. This will bring up the Run... command.
(For Vista/Windows 7 please click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Run)
- Now type in Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. (Notice the space between "Combofix" and "/")
- Please follow the prompts to uninstall Combofix.
- You will then receive a message saying Combofix was uninstalled successfully once it's done uninstalling itself.
This will uninstall Combofix and anything associated with it.We Need to Clean Up our MessDownload and Run OTC
We will now remove the tools we used during this fix using OTC
- Download OTC by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
- Double click icon to start the program. If you are using Vista, please right-click and choose run as administrator
- Then Click the big button.
- You will get a prompt saying "Being Cleanup Process". Please select Yes.
- Restart your computer when prompted.
If you still have any tools or logs leftover on your computer you can go ahead and delete those off of your computer now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Here's some advice on how you can keep your PC cleanUse and update your AntiVirus Software
You must have a good antivirus. There are plenty to choose from but I personally recommend the free options of Avast and Avira Antivir - though if you choose Avira you should make sure that you uncheck the box offering to install the Ask toolbar. If you want to purchase a security program then I recommend any of the following: AVG, Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky and ESET Nod32.
It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out. If you use a commercial antivirus program you must make sure you keep renewing your subscription. Otherwise, once your subscription runs out, you may not be able to update the programs virus definitions.Make sure your applications have all of their updates
Use this next program to check for updates for programs already on your system. Download Security Check by screen317 from here
- Save it to your Desktop.
- Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
- A Notepad document should open automatically, make sure that updates on any that are flagged are carried out as soon as possible
It is also possible for other programs on your computer to have security vulnerability that can allow malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector
and Calendar of Updates.Install an AntiSpyware Program
A highly recommended AntiSpyware program is SuperAntiSpyware
. You can download the free Home Version. or the Pro version for a 15 day trial period.
Installing this or another recommended program will provide spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should scan your computer with an AntiSpyware program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.
Finally, here's a treasure trove of antivirus, antimalware and antispyware resources
That's it, it appears that the USB issue isn't connected to the malware as that is still causing problems. I suggest posting in the XP forum or perhaps the external hardware forum. Good luck.