Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Restore aftermath

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nana-2-3

nana-2-3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

I recently had the Windows XP Restore virus which has of course caused many problems for me. I was able to remove the virus with Malware Bytes. I ran an "unhide" program to unhide my files and I do have my desktop back. But the START MENU items are mostly empty. Is there a quick fix to repairing My Programs menus?

I am running Windows XP Professional.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

I am another user, and you may find that this will Help:
After running the unhide tool you may still be missing most of your start menu shortcuts… They can be found in a folder named smtmp inside:

(XP)- C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp
(W7)- C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Temp

These will be there unless you have removed temp files / folders

There might be three numbered folders inside C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temp\smtmp folder. The folders will be numbered 1, 2 and 4.

Inside the 1 folder is a folder named “Programs.” This folder should be copied / pasted to (using XP) to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu, which will already have a folder named Programs but it is safe to overwrite it since Windows will replace the subfolders without creating duplicates.

Inside the 2 folder are the quick launch items specific for the user. Select ALL of these shortcuts and copy / paste to (using XP) C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

Inside the 4 folder are the desktop items that should be copied to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop.

For Windows 7 users, the all users start menu is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and the all users desktop folder is C:\Users\Public\Desktop
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 Pat50

Pat50

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

USN Vet,
Thank You!, Thank You! I've been trying all day with Unhide and system Look to get my Start Menu Progams back and this worked like a charm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users