Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program windows randomly becoming inactive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RadioactiveWuff

RadioactiveWuff

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

I didn't know where to post this, so feel free to move this or whatever if this is the wrong section.

So I'm having this irritating problem where, when I'm running any program fullscreen, it will randomly "minimize" every few minutes and go back to the desktop as if I'd alt-tab'd out of it. Problem is, I didn't. I relate the problem to watching your favorite movie, only the screen turns off every few minutes because that's just what it feels like doing. This gets especially annoying when gaming.
The problem exists with windowed programs as well, although to a slightly lesser extent. The window randomly becomes "inactive" as if I'd clicked out of it. This disrupts things like typing and playing flash games (this isn't in the games section because the problem persists for ANY program run, it's just that a lot of these programs happen to be games).

I've tried cleaning up my disk drive and cleaning out my registry, and I've restarted my computer twice I think. This problem happens regardless of background programs, including Skype and Steam, and, most importantly, no error message or notification of any sort appears when this happens. I'd really like to know what's going on here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sjvirchow

sjvirchow

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Have you tried running virus scans? I know of a couple virus's that will do this kind of thing.
Hardware: The parts of a computer that can be kicked.

#3 RadioactiveWuff

RadioactiveWuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

Have you tried running virus scans? I know of a couple virus's that will do this kind of thing.

"Interestingly enough", CA isn't quite functioning properly. Bringing up the CA Security Suite shows a blank window. Thinking of getting AVG again to help.

#4 sjvirchow

sjvirchow

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

AVG?! Try using MalwareBytes in safe mode first.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup-1.51.0.1200.exe

#5 RadioactiveWuff

RadioactiveWuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

AVG?! Try using MalwareBytes in safe mode first.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup-1.51.0.1200.exe

Ahaha, you call out AVG like it's a sin or something

Anyway MalwareBytes worked, weeded out about 7 malware things. I feel... Cleaner. Will go test some fullscreen things now.

#6 sjvirchow

sjvirchow

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

In my house, AVG is a sin.

Good to see MalwareBytes helped out.

#7 RadioactiveWuff

RadioactiveWuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

In my house, AVG is a sin.

Good to see MalwareBytes helped out.

Seems to have worked. Thanks for the help. Fullscreen is the only way Champions Online will run at high visuals for me, and it gets incredibly annoying when I have to reopen the game every few minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users