Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#76 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Take a look here for further guidance: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

Start a new topic in this forum not this thread if you need more information regarding the information in that topic I just linked.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#77 PaulJoe

PaulJoe

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

Thanks for the information. Combination of  System Mechanic Software and Bit defender 2010 is a handy tool for the PC.

#78 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

System Mechanic Software is an optimizing tool with registry cleaning capability. See my reply in Post #53
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#79 beautifulflower

beautifulflower

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Well after being totally paranoid about the whole business huh.gif , I settled for just Zone Alarm Pro security suit for Firewall and Virus protection. I have to say I am very happy with it BUT I run SpyBot occasionally, Ad-Aware ALL THE TIME, have SpyWareBlaster 3.3 running and Microsoft Beta and SP2 for XP.
EVERYTHING IS FULLY UP TO DATE.

The Bad news is that after months of trying to find the same answer I came to the conclusion NOTHING exists or probably ever will that does all things for all men!!!
APART From disconnecting from the Net and switching Off The Power!! huh.gif

THE GOOD NEWS IS!!! I no longer know what a pop up or banner add or unwanted add is, unless I want to. Everything apart from ZA Pro was Free laugh.gif

HOW???? Just followed BC advice and followed Grinlers and other peoples advice.

I have to say that Microsoft Beta runs every morning at 1am, and these days its just normal to get a Zero result.

OH, what you suggest or seek would make the Manufacturer and designer Millionaires over night...... Go On give it a go and I will come in halves with you ohmy.gif

But I do what you did and cookies are already stopped!

Edited by Grinler, 10 April 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#80 alive247

alive247

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Could anyone care to explain the following:

Why Adwcleaner and JRT both clear the system log files without firstly warning the user that they are about to - from a Tech and administrators point of view thats malware practice in itself.

Why Adwcleaner and JRT both remove AVG secure search? 

Appreciate any knowledgeable info, cheers. 

#81 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Both programs are designed to remove toolbars, PUPs, Adware and other junk files.

The posted instructions for AdwCleaner say to perform a search to see what is detected first and then it will display a log showing the various files, folders, and registry entries used by these programs. It is up to the user to then decide what to remove or not remove.

The instructions for Junkware Removal Tool advise the user the tool will remove all traces of whatever it finds.

Most of the well known specialized tools we use as malware fighters are written by experts/Security Colleagues at various security forums like Bleeping Computer, TechSupport, GeeksToGo, SypwareInfo and other similar sites so they can be trusted...this includes any program hosted by BC for download. Generally these tools are used under the guidance of experts here at BC and elsewhere who provide step by step instructions. Those who choose to use these or any other specialized tool on their own without guidance do so at their own risk.

AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search are also commonly bundled as an option with other free software users may download and install. Many folks overlook that option since it is pre-checked by default and they unknowingly install it. For example, the toolbar is bundled with PDFCreator.

So even if you decline the option to use these add-ons when installing AVG anti-virus, you may still end up finding them on your system some point after an AVG update or by unknowingly downloading and installing another program where they have been bundled. This also explains how those who never used AVG anti-virus also sometimes find AVG Secure Search and the Security Toolbar installed. Be careful what you download and read everything during the installation.

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

#82 alive247

alive247

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for your reply, i agree, should've rtfm'd first :)

#83 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

You're welcome.

#84 madjax

madjax

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

I ended up with Anti virus pro on my computer - Google the problem from another computer and Bleeping Computer was top of the list.......give it a go I thought!! BRILLIANT!!! Easy to follow instructions (always a bonus for me!!) But one little teeny tiny complaint of sorts........instructions say Full Scan, the diagram says 188,776 files in 1 minute I thought that's bloody quick!! After more than 45 mins, my computer had got to only 127,468 files scanned, but then upon looking more closely diagram says Quick scan (which I didn't see first of all) - little bit mis-leading!! But won't complain too much about it - I've joined up & hope I can now fix other bits & pieces on the bl**ping computer!!! Cheers all xx

madjax

#85 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

List of Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD/Rescue CD utilities

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools which can be used to supplement your anti-virus and anti-malware or get a second opinion:

Many of these tools are stand-alone applications by themselves or contained within zipped files...meaning they require no installation so after extraction, they can be copied to and run from usb drives.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool are two of the more effective scanners recommended for use on a usb drive.

Note: AdwCleaner and JRT are specialized tools which will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons and other junkware as well as related registry entries (values, keys) and remnants. With most Adware/Junkware/PUPs it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in the Control Panel or an alternative third party uninstaller like Revo. In many cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings. After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like AdwCleaner and JRT to fix any remaining entries they may find.

Not so Free malware scanning/removal programs:

Free Malware Removal Tools by Anti-virus vendors:

For a list of other recommended security tools (i.e. SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol) and resources, please refer to:

BTW...you can also supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan. ESET is one of the more effective online scanners.

#86 nalin

nalin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

Thanks for the wonderful post and replies. They are really helpful and I would definitely try few and share with my friends.  

#87 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#88 travisfisher

travisfisher

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

The first post really opens us up to some great tools and resourceful information. In regard to multi engine scanning and some really good tools check out Metascan Online.They provide a public API to many antivirus packages that support Java. It is described at metascan-online.com/en/public-api

Totally revamped their UI. Looks absolutely gorgeous. I recommend checking this free tool out!

#89 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

herdProtect Anti-Malware Scanner is a cloud-based portable scanner (beta version) so it doesn't require installation and should not interfere with an existing anti-virus.

herdProtect is a second line of defense malware scanning platform powered by 68 anti-malware engines in the cloud. Since no single anti-malware program is perfect 100% of the time, herdProtect utilizes a 'herd' of multiple engines to guarantee the widest coverage and the earliest possible detection. As a second line of defense anti-malware solution, herdProtect is designed to run with any existing anti-virus program already installed on a user's PC....A user can install this portable scanner on any Internet connected PC and scan their entire computer for known malware in under 60 seconds.
About herdProtect Anti-Malware Cloud Scanner
Betanews: herdProtect scans your PC for threats with 68 anti-malware engines

#90 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Hi Rusty, I am not sure which post you are referring to. Can you post the link?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users