Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headset is not being recognized correctly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eynonpower

Eynonpower

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

I currently have a Turtle Beach DX11 for my XBox 360. I really can't give enough praise for how much I love this headset, and how it blew away all my expectations of what a headset could actually sound like.

I learned from the instruction manual (page 15) that I can hook it up to my PC. I looked on the rear of it and don't have the outlet for the fiber optic audio cable. Since I don't, the manual recommended I just get an adapter such as their own Audio Advantage Micro II. I order that and hook up my headset up to it. I instantly start hearing "popping" in the headset. I basically fiddle with the wires and it all but goes away.

Windows 7 recognized it and downloaded the driver on its own. Now, I went to make the sound go from speakers to my headset and I didn't see a headset option. I unconnected it all, and reconnect it. This time, it is in my playback devices as "2-speaker audio." I select that, fire up battlefield bad company 2. It was super soft, (yes, I made sure the volume on the DDS and headset were ok), and just sounded very subpar. Did I do something wrong, or is that "sound card' just a pile of crap? Any suggestions/recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sjvirchow

sjvirchow

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

Are you using a build in sound card, or a stand-alone audio controller?
Hardware: The parts of a computer that can be kicked.

#3 Eynonpower

Eynonpower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

I'm ashamed to say it, but i'm not 100% sure. I'm 99% sure that it would be built in as I would just use the speakers plugged into my mobo, or a $20 usb headset.

#4 sjvirchow

sjvirchow

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

Plugging speakers into your motherboard is known as a build in sound card.

The only game you mentioned trying was Battlefield. Did you try any other game, that doesn't use Steam, or just trying to watch a YouTube video for example?
Hardware: The parts of a computer that can be kicked.

#5 Eynonpower

Eynonpower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

I didn't play any other games, but I did try youtube. It sounded "ok" but that was when I was hearing a lot of that "popping." I basically twisted the adapter on the audio advantage 2 around and it stopped. After that, I started up BC2. I can try crysis 2 (don't have it on steam) when I get home in a few hours.

I did find on TB's web site that there is a windows 7 x64 bit driver for this. If I manually installed it, do you think it would have any kind of impact or hard to tell?

#6 Eynonpower

Eynonpower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

I guess I needed to download the driver. Instructions that came with it said to let Windows 7 handle it. Guess it didn't do what it was supposed to. Thanks for the help though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users