Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More on running from Windows XP limited accounts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gregcurie

gregcurie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:09 AM

Hi

The problems with running from Windows XP Limited accounts are actual well known and some years old. I just stumbled upon them now just because I wanted to stop using Administrator mode, as per instructions.

The problem is that Windows XP has heaps of permissions, behind the scenes, which have come along after Windows, being one person really, was begun.

I have decided to give up on running under Limited accounts and use other approaches from inside Admin account.

a) use something like a program which drops rights/permissions from the running program, just as it is started

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms972827.aspx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gregcurie

gregcurie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:11 AM

and a second approach

B) something like Sandboxie which provides an environment around a program to limit the damage

----> www.sandboxie.com

I haven't had any experience in the success of these yet, just started.

thanks
greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users