Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KVM switch are they out of date ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Timmy Toad

Timmy Toad

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:30 AM

Hi all, a friend of mine has just asked me to help them getting a "KVM switch" to work that they have just obtained, i don't know if it used or new, i only know it doesn't work as they thought it would.

Of course i had never ever heard of this word before and did some homework and found out what it is supposed to do, and i immediately thought what the hell does anybody want one of those for (at home), surely everything that a "KVM switch" can do, can be done by a Router a dammed site easier.

Going back a long time before i knew about routers, i got a HUB, which (as far as I can recall) connected to a computer, which was already connected to the internet via a modem, and then additional computers which needed to be connected to the Internet were connected to this HUB.

The major problem with this method, as far as i can recall, is the computer connected to the Modem had to be always ON to enable other computers to be connected to the Internet.

So am i correct in thinking that this KVM Switch is exactly the same as HUB ?, and due to it's severe limitations i reckon he should get a Router !.

tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:34 AM

KVM is not the same as a hub.

KVM switches connect the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse to different PCs which allows you to change between them by just pressing a button (or keyboard shortcut). Most use is when you have multiple PC's you must use (ex: different operating systems, having servers connected, etc.).

Routers, Hubs, etc. are best known for sharing an internet connection, but they can also be used for LAN-only networks to share or access files/folders.

#3 Timmy Toad

Timmy Toad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:51 AM

KVM is not the same as a hub.

KVM switches connect the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse to different PCs which allows you to change between them by just pressing a button (or keyboard shortcut). Most use is when you have multiple PC's you must use (ex: different operating systems, having servers connected, etc.).

Routers, Hubs, etc. are best known for sharing an internet connection, but they can also be used for LAN-only networks to share or access files/folders.

Great stuff pal, that is excellent, thanks. i didn't really know what they did LOL, but it does appear to me, at least before i visit my friends house, that a Router will be more suitable for what he wants to do with it. At least i now where this Switch should be installed in the chain of equipment he has.

tim

#4 Timmy Toad

Timmy Toad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:54 AM

Following on from my previous post, i am beginning to realise that this Switch cannot do what the chap wants to do anyway ?:-

"Kev bought a KVM switch but can't get it to work and he wanted to use the printer and internet connection on one machine through the other. Is this something you could help with?"

Hey, according to my notification emails there should be a few more replies, however chaps thanks for trying to help, it looks as if NpaMA has come up trumps

tim

Edited by Timmy Toad, 20 June 2011 - 07:15 AM.

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

He needs a router or a hub (I would recommend a router, either wired or wireless over a hub for him just because of being cheaper, easier to use, etc.). It is possible to share a printer (but not internet) with a KVM but even then, it's not what it was designed for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users