Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is shutting off without warning.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Victoria

Victoria

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:06 AM

Here are the posts and responses that I had from another forum on BC. I was advised to post on here to rule out an infection. Thanks for your help.

HI, I have a 2.5 year laptop computer. It is an acer Aspire 4730zwith windows Vista. Lately while I'm surfing the web or doing other computer workit will just turn off. It's done this 5 or 6 times the past few weeks. Three times alone yesterday. I tried running malwarebytes' and fell asleep while it was running. When I woke up a couple hours later, of course it was off. Of course when I restart it, it say's do I want to start windows normally. I don't know what to do or how to find out what might be causing this abrupt shut down. Do you have any ideas what might be causing this and how I should fix it? Thanks in advance.

Response: remove all covers you can from the base give a blow out of whatever you can get at. Follow ESD precautions by grounding yourself by touching the metal frame of the computer every 30seconds or so when working inside the comp.

you said it happened in safe mode while scanning with MalwareBytes. So it's not only while surfing the web?

Although I'm guessing it's a hardware issue the fact that you couldn't complete a malware scan raises a yellow flag. I'd suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum to rule out malware. If indeed it is NOT malware, it's almost certainly a hardware issue of some sort since it also happened in safe mode.

Please let me know if you need more information. I appreciate you time and help. :)

Edited by Victoria, 20 June 2011 - 12:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:48 AM

Victoria

Before we investigate the possibility of malware on the system, I want to check out the most likely cause of your laptop shutting down (more accurately described as "switching itself off") abruptly, namely overheating.

I will post instructions for doing this in your other thread, which is the most appropriate forum to be doing that:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic404809.html

If necessary, we will return to this thread.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users