Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft .NET Framework Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:50 PM

A recent run of Secuniia PSI warned me that the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.X, 3.X and 4.X programs on my computer are insecure and must be updated. I have to run Internet Explorer to do that (I use Firefox) and it looks cumbersome. Before I do that I thought it might be a good idea to find out what these things do, and if they can simply be uninstalled.

The "Add or Remove Programs" under "Set Program Access and Defaults" says these programs have been used "Rarely or Never."

I have Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, SP3. It's fully updated, but apparently these Microsoft products need a separate update program.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:09 AM

I have to run Internet Explorer to do that (I use Firefox) and it looks cumbersome

Hi Capn Easy -
Internet Explorer is installed with all Microsoft systems, and although you may prefer F/fox as your browser there are some things that you need I.E. for.
I have used I.E. 90% of the time and rarely have problems (Antivirus is always updated).
You may come across programs that need .Net Framework at times to help in downloads or installing.
Some security programs will only run with I.E. and then you just change back to F/fox later

Follow your Secunia PSI program and install these items.
You should have Microsoft Updates ticked in Control Panel to download and install as they are usually required for security reasons.

Thank You -

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

Just to clarify, I do have Microsoft Updates checked to run automatically. The .NET Framework programs are apparently not part of the regular Windows Update process.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:24 AM

The correct answer is maybe. Different versions of .NET Framework may be used by apps that require them. But if you uninstalled an app that uses it, .NET Framework doesn't uninstall with it. So attempting to uninstall the different versions isn't a bad idea.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:00 AM

Hi again -
My Secunia also has posted the same thing, so I have loaded them now :) , never hurts to be safer -

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users