Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 1501 laptop, with XP media edition has lost Internet options files

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest user

Guest user

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hello all,
New guy with an unusual problem.
The machine in question is a Dell inspiron 1501 notebook with an AMD processor running XP 2005 media edition.

The machine started acting strange a about a week ago after I was searching for information on VW electrical systems. The first thing I noticed was it no longer would back out of the yahoo mail account after sending an email. Then a line appeared across the screen just above the toolbar that looked like another page was open. This line did go away sometimes. The machine also started taking a long time to come up from standby, and was taking a long time to respond to commands such as those used while searching in and out of ads on Craigslist.

Now it has lost its Internet options. I can only access the net by going through Google chrome. Anything that has to do with Internet explorer, or Microsoft is no longer functioning. No tool bar, no Internet option files in the control panel, no Internet security settings, no live updates,or access to the live update web site, nothing! The icons on the desk top and in the control pannel are still there for explorer,but when I click on the icons, the search wheel comes up for a few seconds and that's all it does. Its like the only part of the file left is the icons.

And,when the computer is started,a message window comes up for the windows installer that says its installing a program,but doesn't say what the program is,and then a message box for TRAYAPP comes up. Then a window that says the files needed to install the program are on a cd. What program? What is this all about? I have no idea of what cd its waiting for,or of what program its trying to install.
I have run several virus,and malware scans,and nothing was found. Is there anyway of reinstalling the Internet options files short of reinstalling the system?

Anyway of telling if the file is missing,or just corrupted?

At this point I'm thinking a drop from the 6th floor may help! Thanks for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users