Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for Adobe Reader alternative

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

I am looking for an alternative to Adobe Reader that is compatible with Windows 98. I am unable to upgrade to a newer version of Windows. It also must be able to run on a 500MHz CPU and 128MB of RAM.

Edited by lti, 19 June 2011 - 08:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

The older versions of Foxit reader are compatible with Windows 98. I'm not sure exactly at which point they ended support for 98 but you can try the different installers to find one that works for you.

http://www.oldapps.com/foxit_reader.php

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:26 PM

Sumatra will run on Win95/98/98SE/Me/2000/NT/XP/7

http://sumatra-pdf.en.softonic.com/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

I installed Foxit 1.3.1621 and it seems to run well. It has trouble displaying some files, but they are readable. The file I tried to open had some strange graphics appearing behind headings.

#5 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm looking for a PDF viewer again. Foxit failed miserably, forcing me to reinstall Windows. I think I made a thread about my attempt to make the computer usable again.

Sumatra might work, but I don't know when Windows 98 support ended. I could make a Windows 98 virtual machine and try different versions, but Windows 98 runs so poorly in VirtualBox that it would take hours to install. I need something modern enough to support as many PDF files as possible while running on either the old 500MHz K6-2 machine I mentioned in the first post or a laptop with a 333MHz Pentium II and 224MB of RAM.

Update: Four hours later, I got Windows 98 running in VirtualBox. Sumatra won't run. I got version 1.0 to install, but trying to run it gives me the "not compatible with this version of Windows" error. Foxit Reader 2.1 works in the virtual machine, even though it trashed a real computer.

Edited by lti, 09 September 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

No experience with it but it says 98 support: http://www.verypdf.com/pdf-editor/free-pdf-reader.html

VeryPDF Free PDF Reader runs on Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Win7, etc. systems. It is provided by VeryPDF.com Inc for free non-commercial use.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

That nags me to buy the full PDF editor and doesn't display documents properly. The display issues could be because the virtual machine runs at 640x480 with 16 colors and is really unstable.

One of the computers is running 98 First Edition, so it might be harder to get a PDF viewer working on it. That might be why Foxit didn't run properly. I never tried it on the other computer with 98SE.

I think the thread title is kind of misleading since I need it to run on such an old computer.

Edited by lti, 12 September 2013 - 09:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users