Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

live usb from live iso?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 don wolfani

don wolfani

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

Hi.

I was recently going through an ubuntu iso that i got from a friend and noticed a small program that was included in the iso that will convert a cd iso to a bootable usb stick.
I also have a mandriva live cd iso i want to convert.
So I now have to problems.
1. will the program from the ubuntu cd work with a mandriva iso?
2. My usb stick used to not have any problems but ever since i tried to do a regular linux install to it once upon a time now if i have it plugged in at the time of boot on any machine it will cause the machine to freeze with out booting anything till i remove the usb and restart it.

Does anyone know what i must do other than buying a new usb?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

I would suggest formatting the USB as FAT32, then using unetbootin: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ to install the live iso to the USB :)

#3 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

the way I heard it is that you choose the USB port as the destination.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

2. My usb stick used to not have any problems but ever since i tried to do a regular linux install to it once upon a time now if i have it plugged in at the time of boot on any machine it will cause the machine to freeze with out booting anything till i remove the usb and restart it.

Format the stick that will fix it. Use Gparted delete any partitions on the stick then format it in fat32 ntfs or what ever. I bet you just deleted the files on the stick to get rid of Linux. There are at least 2 partitions on that stick now.  The main, and The Swap partitions . And the stick is flagged as boot I bet.

1. will the program from the ubuntu cd work with a mandriva iso?

What program?

Try doing it this way.  Select the last option " Burn Image" that will create a Bootable Cd/DVD for you.

http://youtu.be/U4QNU54fwCA

In Windows 7 to burn an ISO to CD/DVD just double click the ISO and windows will do it for you.

Edited by NickAu1, 18 November 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,344 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hi.

I was recently going through an ubuntu iso that i got from a friend and noticed a small program that was included in the iso that will convert a cd iso to a bootable usb stick.  I am not a computer guy but have done some of this.  That being said I would not worry about this iso and the program included, it will just complicate things imo.  It makes not sense either, to first burn the iso to a cd, then create a usb out of it, that is more work.  That sentence is a little confusing with my ADD lol sorry.  
I also have a mandriva live cd iso i want to convert.  So, you already have the "LiveCD" burned, I think so?  This is a bit confusing to me, when you speak of a cd that has an iso already burnt to it, then it is called a "LiveCD" as far as I know.  The "iso" is just a file, but once it is put on the cd I think it is called Livecd. 
So I now have to problems.
1. will the program from the ubuntu cd work with a mandriva iso?  It should but it is a waste of time, again I am confused.  I thought the Ubuntu was only an iso, and the mandriva was a LIveCD-now you are saying the other way around.  OMG my poor brain lol, just joking.
2. My usb stick used to not have any problems but ever since i tried to do a regular linux install to it once upon a time now if i have it plugged in at the time of boot on any machine it will cause the machine to freeze with out booting anything till i remove the usb and restart it.  I could be wrong but this might be normal, I don't think you want a Liveusb plugged into your pc upon startup unless you are booting from it-and that is the problem, I don't really no though.  Have you tried to boot it? Did you ever try to erase the Linux install?  I think I see now, you TRIED a Linux install.  Follow Nicks suggestion for that and reformat.

Does anyone know what i must do other than buying a new usb?

I think the first thing you should do is give us your computer specs so that some of the more experienced can help you, like NickAu1 who is already involved: Go to this post by NickAu1 if you are running windows:

There are many iso's on line that you can just use for free and I am not sure about this mandrivia, so why bother.  If you want to make a Liveusb then just follow Nicks video's.  If you are in windows then you can also reformat the usb but it might be best done with Linux via gparted as Nick said.

Go to this page and follow instructions for creating a liveusb: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Edited by pcpunk, 23 November 2014 - 04:40 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,344 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

Opps, I forgot a link to check your specs go to Start>Run>Type msinfo32>Press Enter and you should be set to post them here.

Edited by pcpunk, 25 November 2014 - 06:55 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users