Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Up Problem -- No Display -- Possible Bios Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 atbennett

atbennett

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:47 PM

Hi all
First time I've posted here. Nice to meet ya'll. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

I'm having an issue with my Compaq 5108US (AMD 1.3 Ghz, 80 GB, 512 MB RAM) not booting up properly. Once powering up, nothing displays on the monitor. At first, I thought that it was my video card (ATI Radeon 9600). But given that the card is relatively new (1 1/2 yr old or so) it didn't seem like the issue. I tested a few things but to no avail. Still nothing on the monitor.

I also thought that it may be the monitor, but hooked it up to my laptop and no issues at all. Monitor works fine. I've also tried to hit F10 to get into the BIOS setup and also tried to boot from a recovery CD, but nothing works.

After trying a few other things that didn't work, I took a step back and tried to think of what else might be causing the problem. I rebooted once more and noticed that the lights on the keyboard don't ever flash and listening to the computer it doesn't seem like it's fully booting up. Given that the keyboard lights don't flash it seems like it's not booting properly through the BIOS.

At this point, I'm stuck. I have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. I've had nothing but problems with this poor computer and am about two steps away from junking it, stripping it of any salvagable parts and buying something new. However, I can't understand why it just died on me. It was working fine and then all of sudden... kaput. I thought I'd try one last ditch effort to see if anyone had any possible ideas to try.

Many thanks!

~Adam~

(PS -- I've tried to provide as many specifics about the computer that I know/remember, but given that I can't get in at all, I'm not sure what else I can provide. However, if you need something specific, let me know and I'll see if I can dust the cobwebs off the ol' thinker and try to remember.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:16 AM

Hello Atbennet

I would disconnect all drives and see, if you can get post ( power on self test ) if you are not able to get that then it's pretty hard to go any further.

Check your cables make sure they are attached firmly and no pins are broken or bent.

When was the last time you checked the power supply unit and I have heard of video cards failing in 6 months.

You could try unpluging everything from the board, except / cpu, ram / keyboard/ to see if this works. Then you can add devices one by one. Theirs a good chance your pc hangs up after a certain point after bootup, which could be caused by your hard disk drive.

Hope this helps.

Winnipeg

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:23 AM

First, there seem to be some issues about getting into Compaq BIOS's. Here's a link to a series of posts on it: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_20603595.html (you have to scroll way down past the ads to get to the rest of the posts).

When did this first start to happen? What was done to the system just before this? Any power surges or lightning storms around that time? Do you get any beeps when the system boots up? If so, how many are there?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users