Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Waiting times

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dcb2

dcb2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

Discovering that I'm not the only one wondering about whether my request for help has got mislaid somehow, I was wondering whether it would be useful (to reduce queries of this sort) to provide a more specific guide at the top of the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs" regarding the present wait time? As I recall, it says "several days" and it seems that people start getting concerned when it passes a week, but the present wait is maybe 8-9 days average (based on one recent post-and-reply? Just a thought, to reduce the number of "had my query got lost?" posts that need reassuring replies.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who volunteers their time to help here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

There is no sure fire way to make a promise like that. What we can promise is that no topic gets overlooked. We do have a way to see ALL topics that need to be answered, no matter how old they are. I know the boss does his best to make things as easy as possible for all concerned, but with this volume of help needed and the comparatively few Helpers (ratio) it just isn't possible to give an exact time for an answer. :(
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:38 PM

In addition to teacup's excellent comments.

There are too many variables to aggregate at any given time to accurately project wait times. The number of members posting requests for log review in a given day. The number of volunteer malware helpers available to pick up logs in a given day. Those two factors are and will forever be unknown quantities each and every day. Additional factors are the expertise level of the various malware helpers and the potential for emergence of newer variants that do not respond to the current methodology of removal. Malware removal techniques is like shooting at a moving target as malware writers change the game as the malware fighters become successful.

With those few considerations I hope you can see why we are unable to predict with any sort of accuracy how long any one particular individual's wait time will be.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 dcb2

dcb2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:23 AM

Both of you (teacup61, Animal) thanks very much for the clarification/explainations. I suspected that the reason this wasn't done was because it was too complex, but thought I'd just make the suggestion anyway, in case there -was- a simple way to give the estimate more accurately than "several days" and this could reduce the time you all need to spend in writing posts to reassure people! I -do- understand the constraints and much appreciate the effort which goes into helping people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users