Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory restore and blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lex72

lex72

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

The internet was not working on my Toshiba laptop, all connections were fine, I pinged my IP address, reinstalled drivers and nothing worked. I had just about had it so I decided to restore the computer to factory settings because system restore never ever works for me. Disc 1 processed and I put disc 2 in; after ten minutes I get the blue screen of death. I decided to try it again and the same thing happened! What do I do next, I really need to get this laptop back up and running until I can afford a new one. Please help. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hello lex72, and welcome to Bleeping Computer!! :thumbsup:

Forgive me, but you will have to elaborate a bit more on your problem so that we can help you fix it. Your post isn't very descriptive, and it's hard to figure out what you are working with or what you are trying to do.

What Toshiba model laptop do you have?

What Operating System are you running, and what disk(s) have you used?

Are you trying to reinstall the Operating System, or repair an old one?

Please help us to help you, and give some history on what you have done so we can better target the problem and help you fix it faster.

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 19 June 2011 - 10:33 PM.

#3 lex72

lex72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hi Bloopie,

My computer is a Toshiba satellite A 105-something. The operating system is windows Xp home. The disks I were using are the restore disks/driver disks. The internet explorer was not displaying the page/AOL was not working etc. The connection itself was fine. I exhausted all my options on trying to fix that situation so I decided to restore the computer to the out of box state. The first disk loaded fine, the second disk started and then the blue screen of death appeared. I tried this twice. So basically it will not let me restore the computer and I can't really use it now because there is nothing on it. I decided that I would try and erase the hard drive and try it again. I erased the hard drive but haven't had the opportunity to load the operating system I guess. I guess at this point I want to know what I should do from here. I just want to get it working again. The hard drive was replaced like 2 years ago and I have restored it twice since then. Should I try loading the disks after work and get back to you after that? PS I was intermittently getting the blue screen before the internet problem as well.

Thank you :)

#4 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Hi again,

The disks I were using are the restore disks/driver disks.

Please describe this restore disk. Is it a "REinstallation" disk, or a restore disk?

If you've already wiped the hard drive clean, you cannot use a restore disk! You will need a full XP Install Disk, or a Reinstallation disk to continue.

You may have some kind of hardware issue as well.

bloopie

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

Forgive me, but I should point out that if your drive is not completely wiped clean and you still have your recovery partition unwiped, we may be able to salvage your machine.

Give this site a look and see if your situation corresponds to the link.

Otherwise, you may be looking at a full reinstall of the Operating System. Do you have a Product Key Code printed on a sticker somewhere on the back of your laptop? A full reinstall will require this Key Code.

Let us know what you have to work with and we may be able to formulate a plan. :thumbup2:

bloopie

#6 lex72

lex72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

Hello,

I know it has been over a month since I have responded but I have been busy working overtime and whatnot. Hopefully you can still help me? I looked at what you posted, it's been awhile but I do believe I deleted the hard disk partition. This is what appears when I turn on my computer:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
please reinstall a copy of the file.

I do have a product key code on the bottom of my laptop. How do I reinstall it? I don't think a disk came with the computer.

Thank you!

Alexa

#7 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Hello again,

I would like to try the recovery console if possible next.

Since I do not have the proper steps necessary at hand, I will ask another trusted member to help you with that. :thumbup2:

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 24 July 2011 - 02:22 PM.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

What is the complete model number of your Toshiba?
You said A105-something. Can you be a little more specific with the model as that is a series with a lot of systems starting with A105.

Do you know if the recovery partition is still intact?
If it is, you can restore from there. I believe it is F11 on startup but I might be mistaken.

With the NTOSKRL error it sounds to me as either the hard drive partition was not completely wiped out and recreated.
Or the second cd is either dirty or scratched.
Clean the second cd and check for scratches on it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 lex72

lex72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hello,

The model number is A105-S4004. I am not sure of the recovery partition is intact. Should I try F11 first? And then attempt to put in the recovery disks again? I will check for scratches/dirt on disk 2.

Thank you

:blink:

#10 Dan Penny

Dan Penny

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

For reference;

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=1310946&rpn=PSAA8U&modelFilter=A105-S4004&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

Choose your Operating System (All Categories).

I would attempt the CD's again, with a full format of the HDD.Then perform any updates to the machine.

Edited by Dan Penny, 25 July 2011 - 11:16 AM.

It's a good day when you learn something
-----------------------------------------------------------

#11 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

Hello lex,

How did you erase the hard drive, did you use windows...i.e. delete the partition before installing windows? Did you erase, or format your hard drive?

After a full format and installation of the cd's, you shouldn't be having these problems.

bloopie

#12 lex72

lex72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

I am not quite sure what I did to be honest. It was a month ago. I had tried to restore it to the out of box state and that did not work so I tried to erase the hard drive I believe. I attempted to do what Eyesee said. F11 did not work so I played around with F12 and F2 (I seriously don't know what I am doing). Then I cleaned off the second disk like Eyesee suggested. I am talking about the recovery and applications drivers dvd. First disk loaded fine like last time, the second disk gets so close to being complete (like 90%) and then it stops and says recovery error: 10E716045D, press ok to turn off computer. If I start it up again, I get this:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
please reinstall a copy of the file.

I do see a scratch on disk 2, it's not terrible but could that really be why it isn't recovering fully?

Thanks!

#13 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

I am not quite sure what I did to be honest. It was a month ago. I had tried to restore it to the out of box state and that did not work so I tried to erase the hard drive I believe.

This is the part that worries me. I am not sure that using your recovery CD's will properly install the operating system, but I may be wrong.

Lets try a do-over.

Insert your first recovery CD, and tell the bios to boot from CD. Have a look here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange_2.htm

If you can get your computer to boot from the first CD (and NOT from the HDD), please tell us what is displayed on your screen.

Or you can post a screenshot of what is going on at that time:
Instructions found here.

bloopie

#14 lex72

lex72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

I have been booting from the CD not HDD. Can you explain a bit more what I should be doing? I generally put the first disk in and press F12 and boot the CD drive. Then after the first disk is finished it prompts me to put in the second disk to complete the recovery. At this point I really need step by step instructions if possible.

Thank you!

#15 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

what disk does you insert?
do you have created or get recovery disc after you buy your laptop? factory restore usually in your hardrive and if you want copy it to disc you need to burn it to disc and it will be a couple disc, thats why after first disc you will prompt to insert second disc.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users