Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Sophos 4.9.42

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan12

Ryan12

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

I installed Sophos anti-virus on my Mac OS X 10.5.8 for free while I was in school but the license has since expired. I've tried unsuccessfully to remove it, but it's still there by the bluetooth symbol at the top.

I've gone to Applications, dragged Sophos to the trash, entered password and it says it is moving the .app to the trash. Restart and it is still there.

Also, what free anti-virus replacement do you recommend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

There should be an uninstall package located here: /Library/Sophos Anti-Virus/Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg

Avast is coming out with a free version of their antivirus for Mac soon. It's still in beta now: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=78646.0
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:13 AM

I there should even be an uninstaller "link" in the applications folder.

As a side: I use avast for mac beta and I hardly notice it is there (which it good) and it doesn't slow my mac down at all.

Beta Warning:
The definition of beta is a stable TEST release of a software to the general public For TESTING purposes only! You use it at your own risk and BleepingComputer.com is not responsible for your use of this software!

Edited by computerxpds, 20 June 2011 - 08:14 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Ryan12

Ryan12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

There should be an uninstall package located here: /Library/Sophos Anti-Virus/Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg

I think I executed it previously. There is no longer a Sophos folder within Library.

Sophos is also gone from Applications. But it remains in System Preferences and in the top toolbar by Bluetooth and Airport.

When I click the icon and select Open Sophos Anti-Virus, nothing happens. The other menu options do work. Seems like pieces left behind.

Edited by Ryan12, 20 June 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/12360.html

Mac OS X

You will need to enter an administrator username and password to run the uninstaller.

At each computer:

For Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS X version 7.x , go to Macintosh HD|Library|Sophos Anti-Virus.
Select 'Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg'.
Follow the instructions on the screen.
NOTE, if you are running Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS X version 4.x, the path in step 1 is Macintosh HD|Library|Application Support|Sophos Anti-Virus.

??

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

I hate to ask this but still need to just in case,
Did you restart the computer?
If that doesn't work then contact sophos. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

Restart and it is still there.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

ah didnt see that for some reason thanks Kn,

Well in that case contact sophos seeing as it is their application.
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users