Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing internet from other user account

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gregcurie

gregcurie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hi

Normally I try to find out myself, but for this problem I think I'll try asking.

We are often recommended to not run in Administrator mode/account. For this reason I created a second account on my Windows XP and have found that Internet Explorer can't get out through the wireless modem.

In the Admin account IE seems to have no problem.

thanks
greg c

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

Quick fix is to use the Guest Account which has internet Access.

Edited by USN Vet, 19 June 2011 - 03:12 PM.

Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

See comments by BC Staff at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic298256.html .

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/usercpl_overview.mspx?mfr=true

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2011 - 04:51 PM.

#4 gregcurie

gregcurie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for that, but no progress yet.

From Control Panel/User Accounts I get to see three accounts, Administrator, Guest and the second account I created.

When I try to change the account types I get only two choices, Administrator or Limited.

When my machine starts up I get two choices to login. I don't get access to the Guest account there and I am doubtful it would help.

I have tried looking at the Computer Management/Local Users and Groups. From there I can see a list of accounts including my second created account.

There are two lists, Users and Groups. When I try to use the bright idea, borrowed from other operating systems, of assigning the second user account to another group, I find the programs don't make it obvious what to do.

thanks
greg c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users