Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacement Power jack for Sony Vaio

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hello, I am having serious problems finding a replacement power jack for my old Sony Vaio PGC-GRT716s I have trawled the web for the last 4 hours with no success for a uk source (or any other source for that matter) I can find sources for a whole mass of other Sony Vaio models but not mine, even anything compatible would do, has anyone any ideas?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

Are these what you want?

http://www.laptopbatterylife.com/cheap-sony-vaio-pcggrt716s-laptop-ac-power-adapter-notebook-battery-charger-615a-195v_p8080.html?zenid=52c2e41952ca8d3d6870df6743105975
http://www.m-99.co.uk/Laptop_AC_Adapter/laptop_ac_adapter.html
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for your reply MadDawg, but it is not the power pack that I require I already have that on order, it's the jack socket that I require that connects to the mobo, the existing one has broken. Sorry for not making myself clear!

#4 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for your reply MadDawg, but it is not the power pack that I require I already have that on order, it's the jack socket that I require that connects to the mobo, the existing one has broken. Sorry for not making myself clear!

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

I don't know if any of these will be compatible, but here are a couple of eBay listings:

International: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=vaio+PCG+GRT+DC+IN&_sacat=See-All-Categories

US: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=DC+IN+sony+vaio+PCG+GRT+&_fscr=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m19
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

Does it look like this?
Posted Image

Part Number is 073-0001-1888_A or 68J16

Word of advice: Take it to a shop, this thing was a devil to remove and I ended up damaging the Keyboard when I pulled this one out. Good thing i was scraping the Computer.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 19 June 2011 - 07:09 PM.

Posted Image

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

I have a customer making a decision whether or not to pay me crack open their lappy to replace a http://www.amazon.com/SN261500C-Sony-Laptop-VGN-CR-Harness/dp/B004C89O8K/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308537276&sr=1-8 or, just junk the system. It has a dead short when a power supply is plugged in. Has to be either this or a fried motherboard.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the links Maddog, I want to get the old jack off the mobo before I order another to see exactly what it's like, I've got the top plate and the keyboard off and as far as I can see the jack appears to be directly soldered onto the mobo, as opposed to having a plastic connector (just my luck), although I downloaded the service manual for the particular Vaio and apparently the jack is not model specific. I'm off for a couple of beers, I've had a hard day, I'll continue tomorrow.

Black Spider, I think the above description of the jack answers your question, thanks for your help, if I have any more difficulty I'll post back tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users