Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you recommend?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RandomlyKnighted

RandomlyKnighted

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

I saw one of the pinned topics that contained a list of good antivirus programs. But I was wondering what the Admins over the Malware Removal Training Program recommend? You guys work with removing malware everyday what antivirus program have you found that works the best?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marceya94

marceya94

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

There are five good Malware removing tools:
1. Spybot Search & Destroy
2. SUPERAntiSpyware
3. ComboFix
4. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
5. HijackThis

For more information on these tools here's a link:
http://lifehacker.com/5227896/five-best-malware-removal-tools

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,948 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:33 AM

ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for viruses. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

HijackThis only scans certain areas of a computer's system/registry to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. Given the sophistication of malware hiding techniques used by attackers in today's environment, HijackThis is limited in its ability to detect infection and generate a report outside these known hiding places. This limitation has made its usefulness nearly obsolete since a HijackThis log cannot reveal all the malware residing on a computer. As such, HijackThis has been replaced by other preferred tools like DDS, OTL and RSIT that provide comprehensive logs with specific details about more areas of a computer's system, files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection.

As with HijackThis, these are powerful tools and rely on trained experts to interpret the log entries, determine what needs to be fixed and plan a strategy for disinfection. Using such tools requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System. If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in the use of these tools, you should NOT attempt to fix anything without consulting a expert as to what to fix.

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 RandomlyKnighted

RandomlyKnighted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

Actually, I was asking what antivirus program you recommend not what malware program you recommend.

For example, do you recommend Avira? Micosoft Security Essentials? Norton 360? etc.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,948 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint. Kaspersky Anti-Virus is also a good choice.
If you're looking for a free alternative, I recommend any of the following:
However, there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.

#6 RandomlyKnighted

RandomlyKnighted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:55 AM

Thank you quietman7. I've found that Microsoft Security Essentials blocks webpage images. It blocked the images on my 2 favorite forums.

Also you can set up Avira AntiVir Personal where it doesn't install the Ask Toolbar. That's what I did and the toolbar is not on my computer at all.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,948 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:13 AM

Yes, just because a program installs a toolbar does not make it a bad program. Folks just need to be aware so that's why I include a note so they can choose not to install it.

#8 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

avira is good AV

But Adver. after every update is irritating.

Winpatorl is good tool that looks out at system changes.

Its light too..

As for paid product Norton is pretty good.

Norton 360 cause some problems to application like corel draw etc...

Where as Norton internet Security has no issue`s and you get the same amount of protection.............
Midou

#9 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:12 AM

My personal favourite is Avira aswell. Went back to it recently after problems with MSE, although I don't like the fact that you have to have your wits about you to avoid installing the Ask toolbar. Avira is still the only free A/V I've never had any problems with, though. Seems to catch everything and is nice and light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users