Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect and Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alexthegreat00

alexthegreat00

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

First, I am running 32-bit Windows 7.
Well, I got the google redirect malware. I have seen it called multiple things, but it redirects your google search result to an add page. I normally use Microsoft Security Essentials but after using it to scan, it did not find anything. After a bit of research, I tried to use Malwarebytes. I installed it to C:\Malware because some people said that it would fail if installed to the default directory. While it was scanning it found 8 or 9 pieces of malware but then went into Blue Screen before it could finish. I tried again and the same thing happened. I talked with a quite experienced computer friend and he suggested to use ComboFix. I downloaded it to the desktop and followed the instructions from your tutorial here. I disabled the real time protection from Microsoft Security Essentials and even deleted its process with Task Manager, but ComboFix said it was still running. This may have been stupid, but I continued anyway. I then went to bed. When I woke up the computer was shut down. There was no .txt document in C:\ so I know that it did not finish. I suspect that it went into blue screen again and shut down. Now my computer has some appearances changed, but otherwise appears to be functional.
Is this change purely cosmetic or is it showing other underlying problems that ComboFix caused? Should I try to restore to before ComboFix ran and if so how? Are these BSoD errors because of the malware, anti-malware programs or neither? And finally, what would be my next step in removing the Google Redirect malware?

Or is my computer just too screwed up and its worth taking it too a shop??

I really appreciate any help that you can give me. Thank You.

Edited by alexthegreat00, 19 June 2011 - 02:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

Since you have ran Combofix, Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users