Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual boot problems windows7 and ubuntu 10.04

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bonesie

bonesie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

Hello,
I've recently had to reinstall windows 7 home premium on the partion I assigned for it to run alongside Ubuntu 10.04 (amd64) I've lost the grub boot loader so can only boot into windows7 The ubuntu partion is still there but windows won't let me get to it!
When I tried to access ubuntu with a live CD windows does not recognise it and pretends it does not exist!

I remember having problems before, but then windows could see the live ubuntu CD and I managed to change the boot details from that and installing ubuntu again to get the grub boot loader. but windows is playing silly buggers!!

Can anybody help please
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

Some good info in the link below for repairing or replacing grub 2.

HOWTO: Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the Live CD

There are several ways to repair Grub 2. In this post, we will completely remove and then reinstall Grub 2 using an Ubuntu Desktop Installation CD, which I will refer to as the Live CD.
HOWTO: Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the Live CD - Ubuntu Forums
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 bonesie

bonesie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for that buddy215.
Though the problem is I can't get windows to recognise the ubuntu live CD so can't get into ubuntu at all to change things. Windows sees the CD as a blank CD or not there at all...any ideas?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

No, I don't understand. Did you do a WUBI install of Ubuntu originally? Does Ubuntu show up in the
Add/ Remove program listing in Windows? That would mean it was a WUBI install. Of course, reinstalling windows
would likely change that. Depends on what type of reinstall you did....... Image, repair, complete reinstall.

Windows should play no part in this. You should have your computer set to boot from CD....The live CD.
You do not boot into Windows first and then attempt to run the Live CD.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 bonesie

bonesie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

Aah, I getting myself into a pickle I think!
I'm getting old for this stuff!!...My memory is playing tricks. Of course that's how I did it before.. so will try booting from CD! I think I might of complicated things as I downloaded the WUBI installer to see if it would solve my problem and the boot loader gave me option to boot into windows or ubuntu But nothing happened when I tried to boot into ubuntu. I subsequently tried to uninstall ubuntu from windows which appeared to be successful but I still get the boot loader and still not able to boot into ubuntu which I feel sure is still on the partion(s) for it.
I will try booting with the CD and see what happens and let you know.
Thanks for your help and patience!

#6 bonesie

bonesie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

Tried to reboot with the live CD taken to boot loader
when I selected ubuntu I got this:
Try (hd0,0):non-ms:skip
Try (hd0,1):EXT2
I tried many keys but only got the blinking curser....had to reboot in the end and select windows
I feel I might have inadvertanly caused myself problems installing (then trying to uninstall) WUBI installer
Your thoughts please
Thanks

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

Not completely sure but my best guess is you could reinstall Ubuntu using WUBI. If you want to
install it back.
Just make sure it isn't presently installed. That you removed it thru Add/ Remove or overwritten during
the reinstall of Windows.
I never recommend a WUBI install. Prefer installing in a dual boot config. More stable and slightly faster than
WUBI after install.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

The link below has info on doing an uninstall of WUBI.
WubiGuide - Ubuntu Wiki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users