Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer just shuts off without warning

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria

Victoria

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

HI, I have a 2.5 year computer. It is an acer with windows Vista. Lately while I'm surfing the web it will just turn off. It's done this 5 or 6 times the past few weeks. Three times alone yesterday. I tried running malwarebytes' and fell asleep while it was running. When I woke up a couple hours later, of course it was off. Of course when I restart it, it say's do I want to start windows normally. I don't know what to do or how to find out what might be causing this abrupt shut down. Do you have any ideas what might be causing this and how I should fix it? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:10 AM

If you are saying that the system actually shuts down, it's most likely a hardware issue. My first guess would be the power supply, but it could also be ram, cpu, mobo or hd.

Edited by Allan, 19 June 2011 - 10:10 AM.

#3 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

Hi Victoria

Two simple things I would do first are a) check the CPU fan (and any other fans, graphic card etc) are working when you are running the computer. If it is a desktop pop the side off and keep checking it\them. If a laptop look through vents on bottom.

B ) If a desktop, invest in a tin of compressed air, and with the side cover popped off give fans, cards, motherboard a good blow out, if you are comfortable removing the memory and expansion cards then remove them so you can also blow the slots out. This should really be done as part of a preventive maintenance program every 6months to a year or so depending on the enviroment to be honest, so you will not be wasting your time whatever the result. Dust acts as an insulator and also helps prevent air flow. If it is a laptop, remove all covers you can from the base give a blow out of whatever you can get at. Follow ESD precautions by grounding yourself by touching the metal frame of the computer every 30seconds or so when working inside the comp.

Good Luck,
jodav

Edited by jodav, 19 June 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#4 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

It is a laptop and it is plugged into the wall. My hubby says it's not supposed to be constantly connected to the charger but if I don't have it connected the screen is darker making it harder for me to see. Should the computer be okay since it's always sitting on a hard surface? I mean will it cool properly? I haven't had problems with it before overheating, if that's what it might be doing.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

You should have mentioned it's a laptop in your first post.

It doesn't matter if it's always plugged in. Mine is too. You can use compressed air where the vent holes are if you like.

Let's rule out a software problem. Please boot to safe mode and see if it shuts down.

#6 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

I did have it in safe mode last night when I was running the malwarebytes. It shut off during the scan sometime. I fell asleep while it was scanning so I'm not sure how long the scan had been running before the computer shut down. Today it's been fine. But when after the first two times that it shut down, it went about a month before doing it again.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention it was a laptop in the first post. I always know what I want to write in my posts before I start but then as I'm writing it I always forget something.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

No problem.

In your first post you said it happens when you are surfing the web and in the last post you said it happened in safe mode while scanning with MalwareBytes. So it's not only while surfing the web?

Although I'm guessing it's a hardware issue the fact that you couldn't complete a malware scan raises a yellow flag. I'd suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum to rule out malware. If indeed it is NOT malware, it's almost certainly a hardware issue of some sort since it also happened in safe mode.

#8 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

A hardware issue. Does that mean something is probably broken or breaking as far as the components? I don't know if I'm using the right word. I guess what I'm trying to ask is does that mean my computer needs to be repaired? And you're very observant, it didn't even dawn on me that it did shut down when I wasn't on the web. I can't be sure that the scan didn't complete since I fell asleep. This morning I ran the scan again and it did find one item that was then quarantined. But my computer just shut down again about 30 min. ago when I left it to eat dinner. It was just sitting on the counter top with my browser open. Then I return and it's off, AGAIN. :(

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

Just curious does your laptop do this when you are playing music in iTunes, Pandora, Windows Media player?

First make sure your laptop is not one of the recalled laptops Acer Recall Notice

Mine has had a similar issue, actually still does, but I have managed to make it better by swapping the power brick out with another I had around the house. The 65W brick gets way too hot in my opinion. A 75w Brick or larger may fix the issue completely. If you have a local PC store take the power brick in and they can match it up with another with the same Connection and Voltage, but be sure to upgrade the the wattage.

Posted Image

Trust me you're not the only one with this issue me and at least 2 others locally have this issue and it's annoying since it does not even pop a BSOD to know where to look.

Posted Image

#10 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

When it did it once last night I was watching a link to a youtube video. I will look into your advice. Thanks!

#11 purgee

purgee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

Victoria, please down and install Speedfan

http://www.almico.com/speedfan443.exe

After installing, open it up, and please post your temperatures that are shown. If the Laptop is overheating we may be able to see the temps. Also, immediately after shuting off, can you see anything of importance in the event viewer?

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:05 AM

Thread created in "Am I Infected?" forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic404957.html

The problem is likely to be caused by overheating, so I would like to investigate that first: If necessary we can continue in the "Am I Infected?" forum, if malware is still suspected.

Please follow the suggestion made by purgee, above, to download and install SpeedFan.

Please report what you see in SpeedFan, or better still, post a screenshot of what you see.
(If you need assistance to do that, please let us know and we will assist you.)

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot.

Inserting An Image Within A Post

Please post the exact model of your Acer laptop (you will find the Model No. on a label on the under-side of the laptop).

Edited by AustrAlien, 21 June 2011 - 07:08 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#13 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

AustrAlien I will definitely download the program suggested by purgee. I have had my laptop propped up on a folded newspaper (just the back edge of the computer so it can breath. I also got the compressed air and blew out dust from the vent holes. So far no more unexpected shut offs. I am going to remove the newpaper and then I will see the the program says the temp is. I will report back as soon as I get those readings. I will wait a bit so that the computer will be in the same position it was in when it was shutting down (not propped up) so that hopefully the temp reading will be accurate.

#14 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

My model is Acer Asire 4730z.

#15 Victoria

Victoria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

HDO 42 C
Temp 1 52C
Core 0 52C
Core 1 56C

I don't know what these mean. this is after I watch a couple youtube videos. If that makes a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users