Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Win7 problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dbh

dbh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

I have multiple problems after adding an ATI 5670 card. System will sometimes lock, sometimes reboot on its own. Firefox will sometimes open windows endlessly until I kill it. Most often it will not let me open task manager. I have reloaded Win7 AND tried restore, reloaded a saved image etc. Now when I boot , it gives me the option to boot Win7 as if there was another oS installed.......HELP!

Log removed as used only for analyzing malware in the log forum and moving topic to internal hardware from Windows 7. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 June 2011 - 09:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

If you have two boot options...then your boot files reflect 2 installs, whether you actually have 2 or not.

I would first determine whether there truly are two installs...if not, then I would edit the boot files so that only one reflects.

You can use the EasyBCD to see what is reflected...and to modify the boot files.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2010/welcome-to-easybcd-2/

Louis

Did you reinstall the ATI card? Are you experiencing the same problems as the original install provoked?

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2011 - 09:56 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:13 AM

I have multiple problems after adding an ATI 5670 card. System will sometimes lock, sometimes reboot on its own.

Well, that might very well be related to the video card.

Firefox will sometimes open windows endlessly until I kill it. Most often it will not let me open task manager.

That sounds more like malware.

I have reloaded Win7 AND tried restore, reloaded a saved image etc. Now when I boot , it gives me the option to boot Win7 as if there was another oS installed.......HELP!

Sounds like you installed a second instance of Windows. If you want to start from scratch you need to BOOT to the W7 dvd, format, then install.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 June 2011 - 10:23 AM.
Changed quote tags to clarify who said what and removed unnecessarily quoted edit tag. ~ OB

#4 dbh

dbh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

reset partitions, reformatted, and reloaded Win7....still acts as if another OS was installed. Previously used easybcd and it showed only one OS install....Fork it...I'm at my wit's end. Gonna send video card and MB back.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

No offense and with all due respect, if you formatted and installed Windows from scratch it is impossible for the bootloader to think there is more than one OS installed. I'm not sure what is going on, but I'd sure love to be sitting in front of your system right now so I could look around for myself.

#6 dbh

dbh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

Found it...darndest thing I've ever seen. It was the mouse. I have used the Logitech wireless mouse and lighted KB combination for about a year. Apparently it would start tripping once in awhile and give me funny indications at first boot and periodically while I was using Photoshop CS5 and while browsing. Switched back to my old MS Intellimouse and all is well! I guess I can look at the bright side, I did my spring cleaning of my system. Worst part is I have a lot of photo processing to catch up on. Thanks for the replies!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users