Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode Problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 audi72

audi72

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

I am also not able to reboot in safe mode. I tried the advice that you gave the other poster - went to run and typed in msconfig etc but there was no checkmark there. Then as I read further I realized my computer is not doing the same thing.

When I reboot in safe mode, the screen turns black and Safe Mode is in each of the four corners of the screen. Nothing else happens but when I push ctrl/alt/del the desktop flickers. It also flickers and I can see a bit of the desktop for just a moment when I click restart.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:37 PM

Reboot to the Boot Menu and select Safe Mode with command line. At the C:\ type in sfc /scannow. If it works post the results.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 audi72

audi72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

That didn't work. This is the message I got:

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.].

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:37 PM

Maybe this will help... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;296241 .
Please let us know if it does not help.

#5 audi72

audi72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:16 AM

This link says that I have to find another computer to get a file transfered to my computer. My other computer is Win98. I just moved here and don't know anybody that I could get this file from. Any suggestions?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

Do you have XP Home or XP Professional?

PM me with an email address (along with if it's Home or Pro) and I'll email you a copy from one of my computers.

CAVEAT: Be sure to scan the email for viruses. You don't know who I am, and you shouldn't blindly trust email attachments from others. This is especially important when dealing with security issues!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 audi72

audi72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:22 PM

This didn't work either. :thumbsup:

Is this normal on XP: After I select safe mode, it lists a whole bunch of processes (I think...) before it goes to the black screen with the words Safe Mode in each of the four corners. Also, at the top it says:

Microsoft ® Windows XP ® (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519:Service Pack 2)

I could probably tell some of the things it lists if I restart in safe mode again.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

Yep, that's normal for XP in Safe Mode - but then it should develop into your Desktop (which it apparently doesn't do.

FWIW - I sent audi72 the certificate from one of the XPHome systems at my wife's office. This system is fairly new, and came with SP2 installed and does not connect to the internet. The directions that acklan provided made it easy to extract the certificate and email it to audi72. Any further suggestions in this vein?

Have you tried to start the RPC service? Here's some instructions from a post here ( http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=36489 ):

If RPC service isn't running you will see all of the problems you speak of.

Try clicking on start, on run, keying in services.msc and clicking OK. When you get the services list, take a look and make sure you have only the two RPC entries and that both look like the picture below (click on the thumbnail to expand it) with the top one automatic and started and the next one manual and not started.

If you find the top RPC not running, right-click and try to start it. If it will not, you probably are infected with a virus.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 audi72

audi72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

It's already running.

I am sure I do have some kind of malware - I have links.exe in my startup and that is why I need to reboot in safe mode.

#10 audi72

audi72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:11 PM

I finally got hold of my brother-in-law who works with computers and he said something about Compaqs that are bought at Walmart sometimes have Windows XP on another partition? He couldn't talk long and I didn't really get what he said, but he mentioned going online and looking it up. I didn't get a recovery disc when I bought this - I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Do you have any idea what he was talking about or where online I could look (not to mention what to look for)?

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:35 AM

What you brother-in-law describes is a hidden partition. He is right. The cheaper systems like sold at Walmart come with the restore CD and drivers copied to a hidden partition. I would be like having a CDrom dedicated to running the restoration CD. You never have to worry about loosing it. With that said the down side is malware can install itself since it is not read only.
I recommend, if you have a computer configured like this, you cbtain a true restoration CD if you systme did not come with one.

#12 audi72

audi72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:12 AM

Do you think that the only way to fix my problem is to do a system restore? Or do you think I should try to remove the links.exe in normal mode first?

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:58 AM

I would start with a HJT log in our security forums. Read this link first," Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log" and follow it to the letter.
Once you have done that post in the HJT Forum So that the HJT Team can review it. POSTing it here will delay the help you deserve. Here is the link to the HJT Forum.. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Good Luck.

#14 audi72

audi72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:24 PM

I did a HJT log on the 8th for Winfixer probs, but I'm still in the queue. I figured I would just wait a couple more days and then post it in the "Waited 5 days" post. Should I edit that post and mention the other probs I am having with safe mode and links.exe?

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:41 AM

I think to wait would be best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users