My computer has started to continuously reboot itself lately and sometimes it doesn’t even boot. This error is really bothersome, but it’s especially making me nervous as I have no clue of what’s going on; I’m really lost when it comes to internal hardware.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Windows XP (Professional, SP2)
Intel Core 2 DUO CPU
2.67GHz, 2.00GB RAM
(I fetched this from Control panel/System, but
I’m not sure if it’s the/all information needed).
- The computer reboots for no apparent reason.
The time interval between to boots heavily varies. The computer can run fine for days and then start rebooting several times on just one day.
Once it has rebooted, it seems more likely to reboot again after just a few minutes.
- Sometimes, after the reboot, the computer does not boot at all.
Usually it will make an OK-beep on start-up, but this won’t happen when it “locks up” like this. The fans will be running. The will screen remain black (I had an exception to this, but I stupidly forgot to type down what it said. I think it listed the graphic card and another hardware component).
If I unpower the computer for about 30min, it will start and run as usual again. I’m unpowering by using a “utility power switch” (I don’t know what these are called in English, but here’s a picture of one...; http://www.bowkonsult.fi/images/Steckdosenleiste.jpg ).
- I’ve seen this error maybe 1/year until the last month, and it has become very intense during the two last weeks.
- I’ve seen the blue screen... So far it only stayed on screen once and at another time it rapidly flashed by before the reboot. Usually I won’t get to see it at all.
- I’ve just tested the RAM by running MemTest84. I let it run for 13h, where it made 16 passes and roughly found 6350000 errors. I admit that I don’t understand what this means but it doesn’t look proper...
I don’t know if it’s relevant, but think all the errors came in a batch. Thus, it ran some passes, got all the errors and then continued to make passes without any issues.
- It doesn’t seem overheated. However, I’ve not tested this! I’m uncertain how to test it as well as the error is so random.
- I can work with really large documents in PhotoShop without any issues.
- The error seems to be more likely to occur if playing, say, “highly customizable flash games”. Although I don’t play it in particular, I think FarmVille would make a decent example of such game. Basically games that make the computer load and keep track on a lot of data at the same time?
- 3D computer games may “mess up” or freeze the computer when displaying certain special effects. I’m not sure if this error is related at all, but I think it has occurred far more often lately.
The “mess up” will make everything to lag heavily and all skins seem to get scrambled up (say, the ground is covered with creepy faces instead of rock). The sound will keep running. If I manage to shut off the game in this state, the computer will run fine from there on.
The freeze up will start as extremely heavy lag, and then the screen will freeze. Usually the sounds keep running more or less successfully. The computer will beep if I try to alt+ctrl+del. I need to boot when this happens.
Edited by Uzag, 19 June 2011 - 02:12 AM.