Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm losing connection with servers every 20 minutes or so.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AspirantMage

AspirantMage

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hello there. Here's my situation. A few months back I had rebuilt my system. The basic specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H mobo.
AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.2GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz
EVGA GTX470
Dual 320GB hard drives in a RAID-0 configuration
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

In the months since I rebuilt my machine everything seemed to be working fine. But on Sunday or Monday of last week (the 12th or 13th respectively) I could no longer maintain a constant connection to a server for longer than about 15 to 25 minutes. Now if I'm just watching a show on Hulu or reading a forum page it is of no consequence, but if I'm playing an on-line game (such as Bad Company 2), having a voice chat session on Skype, downloading a large file that may take longer than 20 minutes to complete, or doing anything that requires a constant connection of some type, I would routinely lose my connection after anywhere between 15 minutes to 25 minutes. This has happened, without fail, every single time I attempted any of the things I have mentioned. The drop in connection would be brief. I'm typically able to reconnect immediately, but every time I do, the amount of time the connection would last would become just a little bit smaller. In one instance it went from 22 minutes, to 17 minutes, to 14 minutes. So far, I've tried the following things to rectify the issue:

1) I ran Malwarebytes, emsisoft, spybot, and combofix to check to see if there was a malware component to this. While I did find a very minor infection on my computer, it did not rectify the issue.
2) I released my IP configuration and renewed it. No effect.
3) I ran an SFC scan and switched my method of connecting to my LAN from a wi-fi card to an ethernet cable. Again, no effect.

I should also note that no changes (to my knowledge) were made to my network prior to this problem. I am operating an RCA broadband modem (model# DCM315), an Asus RT-N12 wireless router, and a Linksys phone adapter (model# SPA2102-R) for my VOIP phone service.

At this point, I am completely out of ideas. I'd hate to go through all the trouble of wiping and reloading my system if it can be avoided so if anyone has any suggestions as to what to do from this point, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks!

Edited by AspirantMage, 18 June 2011 - 09:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

Have you tried seeing if the issue happens by connecting straight to the modem?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:17 PM

What antivirus software, if any, are you running?

#4 AspirantMage

AspirantMage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

I haven't connected my computer directly into my modem yet. I'll try that. As for anti-virus software, aside from what I just installed to check if it was a malware issue, I haven't been running any.

Edited by AspirantMage, 18 June 2011 - 11:32 PM.

#5 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

That does remove one possible cause from the list. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users