Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files hidden by virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

Compaq Presario V6500.

I had a virus on the computer, cause all my files suddenly became hidden files. So I backed up my data, reloaded my operating system, and reloaded the files from the backup.

But they still appear as hidden, how do I unhide all of those files. I went to the folders option and checked the 'show hidden files and folders' so that the files reappeared, but they still appear as hidden (the icons are faded)The files are located in various folders, the folders themselves are not hidden just the files in them.

I know I can go to each folder, select all the files and then right click on any of the files, go to properties and uncheck hidden. But that takes way too long, is there a way to unhide all the files in all the folders quickly?

Edited by shashman, 18 June 2011 - 07:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

So I backed up my data, reloaded my operating system, and reloaded the files from the backup

If you did just that, you possibly reloaded infected files.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Be sure to restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

========================================================================

Download aswMBR to your desktop.
Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.
Click the "Scan" button to start scan:
Posted Image

On completion of the scan click "Save log", save it to your desktop and post in your next reply:
Posted Image

NOTE. aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hello, just letting you know I moved this topic to Here in the Am I Infected forum where it will stay.

Please remember to click the Watch Topic button at the top right and select Immediate Notification so you do not miss any replies now that you were moved.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users