Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse & keyboard don't work after using MBAM.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 Frost29

Frost29

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

Hello, I am using the MBAM 1.51 version with W XP sp3. I did a full scan of my C:\, because my search bar was redirecting me to a different sites. When it finished it found like 26 alerts. I was busy at work and just clicked "delete all" and restart not paying attention to what I was deleting.
When computer rebooted Windows opened normally, but now i can not do anything with my mouse or keyboard, they just wont move. If try "safe mode" keyboard allows me to move arrows to select "safe mode", but again once windows opens neither mouse or keyboard work.
Any ideas of what i can do folks? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lobita

lobita

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

That happened to me a few months back. I can only say that MY problem was due to ID Vault, a keystroke protecting component of the free antivirus protection from my internet company. You might want to check if you have something like that. Sometimes protection software willl disable or "injure" components of other protection software I think. I couldn't even log on when it happened, because I couldn't type in my password. It was definitely a pain in the neck. If you can determine whether or not you have keylogging protection (I think that's what it's called), then you can post the information and one of the experts can help you fix the problem. I can't give you any advice on how to do it because I'm not qualified. It's just an idea of where to start looking. Good luck!
Help me Obi1Kenobi. You're my only hope!

#3 Frost29

Frost29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hi, Lobita; I dont think Malwarebytes has this function. I have used it many times before and never came across something like this. Hope one of the experts could tell me how at least get the keyboard and mouse to work again.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

No expert here, but have you tried Last Good Configuration or a system restore.

Also in Device Manager, are there any yellow icons against the keyboard and mouse entries.

#5 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

It might be helpful to know if it is a desktop or laptop, and wired peripherals or wireless. Are the keyboard and mouse, if separate, from the same manufacturer?
Do you have any installation discs for the two, in case a driver has been damaged?

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:29 AM

Just a couple more questions to add to those already asked:

If the mouse and keyboard are connected by wires to the computer, are they connected via USB port or PS/2 port (round plug/socket to the back of the computer).

Do you have an XP installation CD? (Genuine Microsoft retail version or OEM?)

Edit: @ petewills
Good questions/suggestions. However the OP may have a little trouble trying "System Restore" and this one (although I would like to know the answer, and whether the error code was 39):

Also in Device Manager, are there any yellow icons against the keyboard and mouse entries.

Edited by AustrAlien, 19 June 2011 - 01:42 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Frost29

Frost29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

Answering questions above:
1: I am using a Dell desktop.
2: Mouse & keyboard are connected via USB port to back of PC. Both are from same manufacturer.
3: Don't have any Installation disk for neither Hardware or Windows.

Weird thing is that when I press F8 to go into "Safe mode", keyboard works and lets me use arrows to pick which "safe mode" I want to get in to. After choosing one and Windows opens, they both stop working again. So I guess drivers are still there.

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

Press Windows key + R

type in the run box:

devmgmt.msc

press enter

This opens Device Manager; are there any yellow warnings - what are they next to.

Might just be necessary to uninstall the mouse and keyboard drivers and reboot for a reinstall of the native XP drivers.

Use the TAB key and arrow keys to navigate within Device Manager.

Use the arrow keys to expand and collapse the device categories.
Right & Left Arrow keys perform the expand or collapse functions.

Edited by petewills , 19 June 2011 - 08:47 AM.

#9 Frost29

Frost29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

Pete,
What you said makes perfect sense, but again the problem is that I am not even able to use the keyboard at all, no matter what keys I want to use, it just won't do anything. So that I'm not able to type o execute any commands.

Press Windows key + R

type in the run box:

devmgmt.msc

press enter

This opens Device Manager; are there any yellow warnings - what are they next to.

Might just be necessary to uninstall the mouse and keyboard drivers and reboot for a reinstall of the native XP drivers.

Use the TAB key and arrow keys to navigate within Device Manager.

Use the arrow keys to expand and collapse the device categories.
Right & Left Arrow keys perform the expand or collapse functions.

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

Of course, sorry. Can you borrow another keyboard. Clutching at straws here. :)

And have you tried plugging into all USB ports - I expect you have, but......

Or can you try the keyboard and mouse on another computer, to establish if it's hardware failure or a system problem.

Edited by petewills , 19 June 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#11 Frost29

Frost29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

Pete, all of the above has already been tried with no succeed. Im not a newbie on computers and know this is a hard one, but is worth the challenge.Thanks for your help anyways!!! :wink:

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

Not having a Windows XP installation CD makes things a little more difficult: Are you able to borrow one? (it doesn't matter which version)

Are you able to remove the HDD from the DELL and connect it to another working Windows computer? (either directly to the motherboard or via USB enclosure/adapter)

I suspect the problem lies in the UpperFilters settings of the Windows registry (corrupted when MBAM removed something?): To confirm/fix this, we need to access the Windows registry of the affected system remotely (from another system). We could do this from another Windows system, or using a LIVE CD (for example BART PE or UBCD4Win, but to create those CDs, you need a Windows XP installation CD).

Edited by AustrAlien, 19 June 2011 - 05:57 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#13 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

I know you said you were unable to use the mouse or keyboard even in safe mode but have you tried it with safe mode with command prompt????
If you can type in safe mode with command prompt have a look at this link.. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-System-Restore-from-a-command-prompt

Hope this helps you out!

#14 Frost29

Frost29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

Yes, I have another installation disk that I can I borrow. It is an XP Pro as well and also have the Hiren's CD 13,but already tried it and could not do anything with it, though keyboard worked with Hiren's, I did not find a way to get it fix with any of the applications on it.
Would you tell me the instructions to follow using another intallation CD? Thanks.

Not having a Windows XP installation CD makes things a little more difficult: Are you able to borrow one? (it doesn't matter which version)

Are you able to remove the HDD from the DELL and connect it to another working Windows computer? (either directly to the motherboard or via USB enclosure/adapter)

I suspect the problem lies in the UpperFilters settings of the Windows registry (corrupted when MBAM removed something?): To confirm/fix this, we need to access the Windows registry of the affected system remotely (from another system). We could do this from another Windows system, or using a LIVE CD (for example BART PE or UBCD4Win, but to create those CDs, you need a Windows XP installation CD).

#15 Frost29

Frost29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

I can not log in "Safe mode", because, there are two user on the machine and since keyboard and mouse dont move I am not able to select one.

I know you said you were unable to use the mouse or keyboard even in safe mode but have you tried it with safe mode with command prompt????
If you can type in safe mode with command prompt have a look at this link.. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-System-Restore-from-a-command-prompt

Hope this helps you out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users