Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No COM1 port showing in device manager

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 inkballinc

inkballinc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hello All -

First off, thank you so much for you assistance and removal tools. I caught the XP Recovery malware a month ago and all of your tutorials saved me.

Now however I awoke to a new issue - No internet connection on my DELL PC. There is no LAN listed under "Network Connections" and all attempts to start one fail (none showing).

In device manager all of my network adapters have the yellow "!" warning. I have attempted to install a new driver from intel for my PRO/100 VE network adapter but receive the "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Also the PORTS (COM &LPT) only show when I select hidden devices. Also the TCP/IP Protocol Driver then appears in the Non Plug and Play divers also with the yellow tag.

I have tried to uninstall and re-install the tcpip.sys file using both methods in these forums but without a LAN listed I cannot get the general protocol process to erase the current tcpip.sys file from the registry.

As a precaution that this might be a lingering effect of XP recovery I have run RKIll, TDSSKiller, and Malwarebytes (updated more than 10 days old) with nothing detected.

Please help. I have been away on vacation with the system off only to come back to this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:26 AM

The COM and LPT ports are unrelated to your network. You say that the network adapters all have a yellow exclamation point next to them (not a question mark, right?) An exclamation point indicates that Windows recognizes the device, but for some reason is having difficulties with it.

First, check your computer's support page on Dell.com and download the latest drivers for your network adapter (even if they're the same version as what you already have. Save them somewhere handy but don't install them yet.

In the device manager, right click on the network adapter and select "Uninstall" to uninstall the current software. Agree to any prompts asking to confirm, and then reboot. Windows may automatically detect and install the drivers again. If it doesn't, then install the driver you just downloaded. Reboot again and see if the network adapter is now functioning normally.

#3 inkballinc

inkballinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

Andrew -

No go. Removed the adapters and downloaded drivers. Still see the Yellow exclamation notices. I tried to update the drivers with the locations of the saved drivers from DELL and get a "not better than current" message.

#4 inkballinc

inkballinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

also rolled back the windows updates that were done right the same day that the error appeared. Thought that might help, but no.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

In the device properties for the network adapter, what does the "Device Status" message say?
Posted Image

#6 inkballinc

inkballinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:41 AM

The 1394 Net Adapter says

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
Device usage is enabled.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:52 AM

A 1394 Net Adapter is a Firewire device, which is generally not used to internet connections. Are there any other network adapters?

#8 inkballinc

inkballinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:21 AM

Under Network Adapters we have:

1394 Net Adapter
Direct Parallel
Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection - McAfee Core NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport
Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Wan Miniport (IP)
Wan Miniport (IP) - McAfee Core NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport
Wan Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Wan Miniport (L2TP)
Wan Miniport (PPPOE)
Wan Miniport (PPTP)

All have the same message as above in the properties. The Direct Parallel and WANs would not uninstall for me

Edited by inkballinc, 22 June 2011 - 03:22 AM.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Okay.

Let's try a wild stab in the dark.

Look in the following folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. What you're looking for is the ndis.sys file, or rather you're looking to see if it's not there. If it is there, then don't do anything to it, just post back here.

If, however, ndis.sys is not found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers, then do the following:

Locate a copy of ndis.sys for the version of Windows you're using (I assume you have Windows XP service pack 3)
You can find ndis.sys in one or more of the following places:

• on your Windows XP install CD in the I386 folder. It will be called ndis.sy_ and will need to be extracted. From a command line, use the following command:
    expand x:\I386\NDIS.SY_ %systemroot%\system32\drivers\ndis.sys
    replacing x:\ with the drive letter of your CD drive.
  • in the C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ directory. It it's there, just copy it to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers as you would with any file.
  • in the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory. It it's there, just copy it to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers as you would with any file.
Reboot and see if you can install the driver or if the network card starts working by itself.

If, and only if, things still won't work, then proceed to the next step:

Open Notepad and copy the following into a new file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDIS]
"DisplayName"="NDIS System Driver"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Group"="NDIS Wrapper"
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Type"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDIS\MediaTypes]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDIS\Parameters]
"ProcessorAffinityMask"=dword:ffffffff

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDIS\Enum]
"0"="Root\\LEGACY_NDIS\\0000"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

Save this file as ndis.reg and put it on your desktop.

Now, back up the Windows Registry because we're going to be mucking around in there. Seriously, don't skip this part.

Double click on the newly created ndis.reg file. You should be asked if you want to add the information in the file to the Registry. Say yes and reboot. With a bit of luck your network adapter should be working (or be able to accept drivers.)

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

To confirm that you are installing the correct drivers from the Dell site, please post the model number of the system.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 inkballinc

inkballinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

Eyesee - DELL Dimension E510

Andrew - I located the ndis.sys file in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory. Copy & paste resulted in the blue screen stop error.

I was then able to restart again and try the uninstall/reinstall drivers (ndis file now showing in the drivers folder). the intel pro 100 VE is found and then I get the "problem installing hardware message"

Should I proceed with the if and only if step? I am nervous after the blue screen error.

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:19 PM

These are the ones you want. Use the Intel pro 100 drver under network.
It should be a pretty straight forward installation.

#13 inkballinc

inkballinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

yes those are the ones I've downloaded and installed.

I still get the "Cannot Start this Hardware" message. I have also check BIOS and the NIC is enabled.

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

I am working on that exact system right now.

What happens when you click on the driver package?
Does it unpack and install correctly?

You might want to shut down you AV software temporarily when installing the drivers.

Edit: BTw the Dimensions E510 has no com or lpt ports. It is all USB

Edited by Eyesee, 23 June 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#15 inkballinc

inkballinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:19 AM

It says they were successfully installed when clicking from the package.

Thank you for the clarification with the COM/LPT ports, i knew I wasn't crazy for not seeing it in BIOS. I tried disabling the NIC in BIOS and then reboot and install. Still get this error - "Cannot Start this Hardware. There was a problem install this hardware - Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The drive may be corrupted or missing (Code 39)."

Would a new Ethernet card solve this?

Edited by inkballinc, 24 June 2011 - 01:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users