Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia Driver Helper

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AnnieWarriorPrincess

AnnieWarriorPrincess

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

I was wondering if you could tell me what it is exactly and maybe how I can fix it, if I need to. Does it have anything to do with the NvCpl in the Startup menu? In my startup it says the item is NvCpl but the Command says RUNDLL32.exe. I had heard that NvCpl.exe was a worm, so I try faithfully to click it off at startup, just in case it is and it takes me 3-4 tries before that little bugger will stay off. The Nvidia driver helper says disabled after that, I think. I am new to working with computers, so be gentle with me. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

NvCpl is the name of the NVidia Control Panel, which is used to change some of the more advanced settings for your NVidia brand video card. It's shipped in the form of a DLL file. DLL files can't run all by themselves since they're basically collections of related tools bundled together which other programs can use like building blocks.

RunDll32.exe is a Windows tool which is used to run a tool inside a DLL file outside the context of a larger program and the building blocks analogy. In and of itself it's perfectly harmless and when used by trusted products, such as those from NVidia, is nothing to be concern about from a security perspective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users