Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot get into my computer even in safe mode, how can I fix or at least personal files off

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

I cannot get into my computer even in safe mode and as of now my biggest concern is to get my existing files off, therefore I need assistance getting into my computer by I am fine with rebuilding the computer once I get my personal files off. When I try to run in safe mode, a string of code come up and then it bounces to this message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to computer. Disable or uninstall any antivirus, disk defrag or backup utilities. Check your hard disk config and for any updated drivers. Run chkdsk /f to check for hard disk corruption and then restart your computer. Stop: 0x0000024, 0x00190203, 0x82DDf430, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000.

Thank you.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 18 June 2011 - 04:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Hi Allan, what happened is that my computer turned off suddenly because my battery for some reason does not always stay connected even though it is locked in. I jarred my computer and power cord came out the computer turned off and then when I turned it back on I got the message about it being turned off suddenly and that it had to perform a disk check and while it was performing the disk check, it was about 70% through part 3, I must've jarred it again because the computer turned off again, and when I turned it on again that is when I got the situation that I described above.

#4 Audrenae Hunt

Audrenae Hunt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hey Anne_ATL

This has happenes to my computer also and what I found out is that my battery is dead or weak and needs to be changed. I hoped this has helped for you situation.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:04 AM

Before we retrieve your files from the computer, let's try fixing the file system so that Windows will load successfully.

First thing to do if your battery power supply is not reliable is to ensure that your mains power supply to the laptop is reliable, and that it will not be interrupted again, as it has been twice already.

If you do not have access to a Windows XP installation disk (OR a Vista or Windows 7 installation disk, which can also be used to run chkdsk from the command prompt) ...
On a working computer, please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double-click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick the appropriate selection, for example: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
    • ( Replace "Windows Professional SP2 & SP3" with the OS required. <<< IMPORTANT)
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.

(The ISO file is located on your Desktop.)
  • Burn the .ISO image file to a CD, to make a bootable CD.

Boot the afflicted machine from the CD that you have just burned.
1. Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.

2. Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press the <ENTER> key. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press <ENTER>.

5. You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.

6. You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt. (If you do not see this, let me know.)

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /p and press <ENTER>. (Note the space between chkdsk and the slash.)

If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /p again, and repeat a third time if necessary, until no more errors are found.
Type exit at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:05 AM

Thank you! I am having problems burning to a CD I think because I am actually using a DVD which has worked before on another computer, so I am going to try to find an actual CD and hopefully that will work.

Thanks again.

#7 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

OK I checked the drives and the drive I am using is a DVD/CD-RW drive which is the same type of drive that I have written a CD to before on another computer, so I am wondering if the problem is just burning the CD. I am wondering if I can copy the arcdc.exe file onto the dvd and then "run" the CD from there. I am checking into this before doing it because I don't want do it and mess up the cd / dvd because the instructions are that it should be a blank.

Thanks.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

I am wondering if I can copy the arcdc.exe file onto the dvd and then "run" the CD from there.

No, I don't think that would achieve anything useful.

I checked the drives and the drive I am using is a DVD/CD-RW drive .... I am wondering if the problem is just burning the CD.

The DVD/CD-RW should be able to burn CDs.

Please describe exactly what problem you are experiencing. A step-by-step description of what you are seeing and what you are doing may help me to understand the problem and help you resolve it.

Edited by AustrAlien, 19 June 2011 - 06:27 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

When I get to this step,

The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.

I am following the prompts and when I get to the point where I am prompted to insert the CD, the system is not acknowledging that the CD (actually DVD) has been inserted, and I go into a loop where the drive keeps ejecting and telling me to load the CD. The first time I did it a blank CD was in the drive already so I went back and started from scratch with downloading the file, and then inserting the CD when prompted.

Also can this be done by downloading and running off of a flash drive, although I may encounter the same problem?

Thanks.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

I am following the prompts and when I get to the point where I am prompted to insert the CD, the system is not acknowledging that the CD (actually DVD) has been inserted

I think you need to be inserting a CD and NOT a DVD. Have you tried with a CD?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:15 AM

No that is what I was trying to state in my previous posts that I don't have a CD and was using a DVD-RW and that a DVD-RW has worked before but it was on a different computer (the one that I am trying to fix) but that the drive device was the same on both computers. I am homebound at the moment but I will try to find a blank CD and see if that works. Thanks.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 22 June 2011 - 06:15 AM.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:39 AM

"the system is not acknowledging that the CD (actually DVD) has been inserted"
This indicates that the system is looking for a CD: It does not see the DVD you have inserted. You will need to use a CD.

If you wish to use a flashdrive, try this: Creating a USB bootable XP recovery console
I know it works: I have used it myself.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

Ok I found a CD and burned it, but I am still having problems.

I put it in the drive and turned on the computer and I get the Dell Screen and then a quick screen "Setup is inspecting..." and then a blue screen with Windows set up at the top and there is a bar at the bottom that starts with setip is loading files" and then there is a series of labels and if I do nothing it will loop me back to the screen similar to what I noted in the first post except it says:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /f ti check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:
Stop: 0x000007B, 0xF898c524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000.

My next scenario was to press the R key when the blue screen comes up and it does the same thing as the do nothing scenario above.

My third scenario is to press F2 when prompted to run auto recovery dik and that brings up a screen that says, please insert the disk labeled Windows Automated System Recovery Disk into the floppy drive and press any key when ready and I press a key and it loops back to the "please insert the disk..." message.

So I never get a screen that literally says "Welcome to Setup"

Thank you.

ETA:
I also hit F2-Set Up key when I turn on the computer and that takes me to a split screen, but it seems more informational and configuration oriented than repair related.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 28 June 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

Pleased to see that you finally got the CD burned and booting OK!

Booting to the XP Recovery Console CD and getting a Stop: 0x000007B usually means one thing: You have a SATA HDD. (XP does not come with SATA drivers on the CD, and nor does the XP Recovery Console CD.)

There are often two ways to get around this problem: Let's try the simpler and quicker way first (although it is not always possible depending on the particular motherboard/BIOS of the system).

What is the exact model of your DELL machine?

If I have the model of your DELL, I will hopefully be able to check out the BIOS Setup Menu to see whether the intended method is possible, and if it is, to provide you with clear instructions on how to proceed with it.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Dell Latitude D610. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users