Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

your thoughts on the coming Windows 8, do you think that it will end the reign of the .net framework, Silverlight,WCF, ASP.net, and WPF?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

Hi all,
This landed in general because it's not a computer support question. I have been trying to glean different bits of information on the coming Windows 8 since it interests me in many ways, the utmost of which is will either I or the rest of the blind community have access to it with the change in drivers for Screen reader access, and then I also have other interests about it. .net and it's children have been my domain for a long time (the only reason why I have backlog right now is due to a VS2010 corruption), and I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he said that this version of Windows might mark the end of .net's reign in light of something he saw where some techie on the web blogged about it. I tried to ask him for the source of the information, but he couldn't remember it. I went in turn on my own quest to find things about it, and so far all I can see is future support for .net 4 and it's children. I know that there's going to be more stuff going on with HTML5, but I can't imagine HTML being the preferred Gui development language for Windows programmers in the future, can you? What are your thoughts? Thanks. And if you find anything cool, feel free to post it here.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

I found these two articles/links quite interesting:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-8-everything-you-need-to-know-701764

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20067859-264/web-apps-get-the-ultimate-endorsement-windows-8/

But hey, I haven't moved from XP yet! :lol:

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

I liked those. Thanks for putting them on the table. But it does bother me some that Microsoft may be trying to get us away from the tools we love. And not to mention, I'm just getting started with it. But another bothersome thing is what about the tools and software already written in .net languages? For instance, there is a C# game engine called .net Gore. So then as the second article linked to, what about the hard work that goes into those types of things? From the way I interpret the articles, it does seem that Microsoft may stop supporting them in the future, so I suppose I'll have to hurry up, either that or live in the dark age. I mean, HTML is something I want to learn, but I feel that it should simply stay where it belongs, a.k.a, it's for the web and it shouldn't intrude on the main interface of the OS. And besides, though Microsoft may think that we can just give up our likes, but considering they have the .net compact framework for Windows Phone 7, and if this next generation is Windows Phone, what are they going to do, just throw that support away? I think that Microsoft might be getting a little too big for it's britches if you know what I mean. But just the same, I like Windows 8's prospects, and I'm sure that I'll be jumping on it when the time comes. My thing though is, what about servers? My dream one day is to host all of my group's needs on my own server including our web site, email server, communication/chat application, and then a couple of custom apps running on the .net framework. One of the articles said that we are moving away from the need for servers on the web because browsers are now more and more capable each generation of keeping their own state. What about everything I've lived for since I was like fifteen? I can't imagine that the client server model will just die out so quickly. We are too bound and loyal to it, and we rely upon it for too much of our infrastructure. In my opinion, this whole cloud computing thing will die out as well before Microsoft realizes what has hit them. What's your take? Do you agree with some of what I'm saying?

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

I don't really mind what Microsoft does - I'm a fan, have been since Dos 5 / Win 3.1.
I only ever change my OS, if I buy another computer, so Win 7/8 are not currently on my radar.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I didn't even know about Win 8, until I saw your post.
I then found plenty of info through Google, so thanks for the nudge - I am now generally informed.

I'm sure there are plenty of members who will be only too pleased to discuss the matter in detail
by reference to your views and their own thoughts, lot of opinionated people here!

As for me, I shall embrace the new, only when I have no other option.

Hope you achieve your dream. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users