Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unfixable xp problem?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tookiewayne

tookiewayne

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

I have an hp mini netbook running xp sp3 home edition. When you log into any of the accounts, the taskbar (or explorer.exe, i'm not sure who the culprit is exactly) freezes for about 10 minutes and is unresponsive. when you move the mouse over the start button or the task bar all you see is an hour glass. After the ten minutes the computer finishes loading and you hear the start up sounds. The desktop is somewhat responsive.

At first this problem was only on the administrative account, but now all of the accounts are effected by this problem.

I have ran several full system scans with mbam and their are no visable threats on the computer. I have tried several things to narrow down what start up program is causing this hang.

The computer will boot normally in safe mode but that doesn't help me at all. I have ran the sfc/scannow command to see if the system files had been damaged but nothing ever changes or shows up corrupted.

I don't have a cd rom drive on the computer and reformating/reinstalling the os is not an option right now.

I want to fix this without wiping the os of the computer. if you need me to explain more or go into detail about something just let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

What the exact make and model of the problem PC?

It sounds to me like you could use a RAM upgrade.

Also, let's see this...

Click Start.

In the search bar (or after clicking Run) type msconfig and hit Enter.

Click the Startup tab.

Take a screenshot(s) showing all items listed and attach the image(s) in your next post.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users