Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thank you Bleeping Computer.com

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bcfan2011

bcfan2011

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

I'd like to use my first post to thank the contributors of Bleeping Computer.com for making available all of this great information. My computer contracted the "Windows XP Repair" virus yesterday and I was able to handle it swiftly and completely using the information here. I am very grateful and will devote some time each day during the next several weeks to read here and develop a best practices to follow to keep my systems as clear as possible in the future.

From what I've gathered so far, it looks liek a good start is rkill, unhide.exe, malwarebytes, and combofix. If there is a best practices recipe that you prefer, please let me know by link (I will search, although there is a lot of great information to go through).

Also, although I am using Microsoft Security Essentials, it looks like the full version of Malwarebytes would be much better to real-time protect my systems. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your help and thank you to Bleeping Computer.com for the great server to the computing community!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

Hi there, bcfan2011, and welcome to BC :welcome:

We're certainly pleased when people find our work here to be useful, and are encouraged greatly when people are nice enough to stop by and tell us so :thumbsup:

rkill, unhide.exe, and ComboFix are not intended for regular use but rather for addressing specific issues during the cleanup of an infected computer. Tools like Malwarebytes Antimalware or Microsoft Security Essentials are, however, specifically intended for regular preventative use. Think of ComboFix and its friends as brain surgery and of MBAM and MSE as a regular physical exam: getting a physical keeps you healthy and has little danger whereas having brain surgery is not something you want to have done to you with any regularity.

As to which of either MSE or MBAM to use for real-time protection, I'd say it's pretty much an even ballgame between the two, though I've only ever personally used MBAM.

#3 bcfan2011

bcfan2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

Thank you for the welcome! Since my post I've had a chance to check the guides and they have been really helpful. I will check MBAM for my real-time protection.

Thanks again!

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hello there,
You're going to want to be careful when using the realtime protection module of MBAM. More and more mainstream AV firms want their customers disabling it if their AV product is installed in edition. Examples include GFI, AVG, and Eset.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

Examples include GFI, AVG, and Eset.

Not quite accurate mentioning ESET in a blanket statement. I have ESET and MBAM realtime cohabitating very nicely. Have been for over 6 months.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

Nevertheless the point is well taken. In general, it's inadvisable to have more than one real-time malware scanner running at any given moment. Some combinations don't step on each other's toes, but they're rather less common than those that pick fights with one another.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

Agreed, the point is well taken. I was only trying to illustrate that it's not quite as black and white what AV's may or may not play nice with realtime malware applications. Try different setups and find one that works for you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

...I was only trying to illustrate that it's not quite as black and white what AV's may or may not play nice with realtime malware applications. Try different setups and find one that works for you.

That is true. I have had both Malwarebyts and SpywareTerminator running alongside Nod32 for over a year and there has never been any conflict. Sometimes you have to experiment as different systems react different to what security tools are used.

...although I am using Microsoft Security Essentials, it looks like the full version of Malwarebytes would be much better to real-time protect my systems. Thoughts?

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free anti-malware solution that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Antivirus software is a computer program that detects, prevents, and takes action to disarm or remove malicious software programs, such as viruses and worms. You can help protect your computer against viruses by using antivirus software, such as Microsoft Security Essentials.

What is antivirus software?

Using more than one anti-virus can cause conflicts...that is why Microsoft recommends that you uninstall other antivirus software before installing MSE. In contract, Malwarebytes is an anti-malware scanner intended to supplement your anti-virus, not replace it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users