Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont turn on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thibauld

thibauld

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hey,

Yesterday i wanted to turn on my computer as normal, but to my surprise my PC for some reason suddenly wouldn't turn on at all anymore. Im sure its recieving power, i can hear some crackling when i insert the plug into my PC

I built it myself but i've been using it (without problems) for the past 2(ish) years.

My PC's Specs are:

GPU: Sapphire HD 4870
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 x3
Running windows 7 Ultimate
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P

I dont really know what else i should include so ill add any info requested in my next reply. I have asked a question on the malware forum earlier which has a few logs, but i cant find that topic on my iphone which im using right now.

Please see if you can help me,

Thibauld

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

i can hear some crackling when i insert the plug into my PC.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this but you should not be hearing any crackling.
When you investigate this crackling be careful it could be a power supply shorting to power or ground.
Do the fans come on?

#3 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:58 AM

i can hear some crackling when i insert the plug into my PC.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this but you should not be hearing any crackling.
When you investigate this crackling be careful it could be a power supply shorting to power or ground.
Do the fans come on?

No none of the fans or any lights come on, and i dont hear any sounds at all coming from the PC

It isnt any loud crackling, i mean the same sound you hear as when you insert any plug into an outlet.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

You should always switch off the power point before plugging the power cable to the computer.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Thats not the problem though...

#6 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hi thibauld,

The first thing you need to check is the power supply itself, you really want to hope that this is the problem really. Otherwise it could be the CPU or motherboard.

After checking that the supply plugs are firmly connected to the motherboard you can check the different voltage supplies are correct with a multimeter (google this if unsure), or you can buy a power supply tester if you are uncomfortable using the multimeter. It would be much easier and more precise however if you could borrow a known working power supply from another system, or put the suspect power supply in another system to see results.

Good Luck thibauld.

#7 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hi again,

I havent done any of the testing suggested in the last reply yet, but ive had no (hardware) problems with my PC for the last 2 years, so i dont think it can be a voltage porblem? Unless thats what broken on the PSU now... Also i cant find anything that lets me change the voltage on my PSU, but i believe i saw someone somewhere suggesting me that i'd check to see if it had the right setting.

Thibauld

#8 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

Also ive checked that all the cables are connected firmly, thats not the problem (unless one is broken)

Edited by thibauld, 18 June 2011 - 08:05 PM.

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:51 AM

I would replace the power supply with a quality one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users