Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Timings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:43 AM

Would Like to get a "Walk-Through" on HOW to Set-Up Memory Timings?
The Memory Tech at G. Skill said that my Installed timings should be
8-8-8-24 @ 1.5V + Command Rate 2 after Installation into my Gigabyte MB
(GA-790FXTA-UD5).
I have attached the Stats from my EasyTune6 to Show where My Timings are at now....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:29 AM

your timings for that stick of RAM are 7-7-7-24. Better then 8-8-8-24, you shouldnt complain ;)

What speed is your CPU running at?

Do you have XMP enabled?

Look in your bios for XMP(xtreme memory profile)

My gigabyte Ud3 board has it in the BIOs called "profile 1"
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

I don't know whether or not those timings are XMP or not. Nothing wring with checking what the XMP profile is while in BIOS though.

Quickie walkthrough- Go into BIOS, find memory timings, set them as you like. Find the memory voltage and set it at 1.5, save settings and reboot. It's not a complicated process. Worst thing that happens, it won't boot so you hold the "Insert" key down when you turn it on to reset the CMOS/BIOS and try try again.

As far as the "Timings Table", take that with a grain of salt. Those settings are really generic. Those 7-7-7-24 timings listed at 667 are not at 1.5V, I can almost quarantee that.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

I went into BIOS couldn't Locate the "XMP" Control?? So, HOW & WHERE in BIOS??
Also, How do I "scroll" in BIOS & Get to the Menu Selections on the Other Side of the Window??
I take it, it's "OK" to set the RAM at 666/667?? I set it up at 533...

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

you move through the BIOS with the arrow keys...Page UP + Page Down may work also. Bios dont always word everything the same way, but look in your motherboard manual, find it online in PDF form if you dont have a hard copy. It should walk you through it. OR you can just go through each page in the BIOS until you come across what your looking for. Rule of thumb...dont change anything in the BIOS unles your certain of what yout doing. If you provide what version of the BIOS you have, perhaps we can assist your further in finding the memory timings and system settings pages.

The motherboard should auto-detect the RAM modules settings and apply the default. If its lower then the targeted Mhz, like 1033mhz instead of 1600mhz, you have to manually override the settings. Sometimes this causes instability and you cannot operate like this and must restore defaults.

Please provide your BIOs version.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

you move through the BIOS with the arrow keys...Page UP + Page Down may work also. Bios dont always word everything the same way, but look in your motherboard manual, find it online in PDF form if you dont have a hard copy. It should walk you through it. OR you can just go through each page in the BIOS until you come across what your looking for. Rule of thumb...dont change anything in the BIOS unles your certain of what yout doing. If you provide what version of the BIOS you have, perhaps we can assist your further in finding the memory timings and system settings pages.

The motherboard should auto-detect the RAM modules settings and apply the default. If its lower then the targeted Mhz, like 1033mhz instead of 1600mhz, you have to manually override the settings. Sometimes this causes instability and you cannot operate like this and must restore defaults.

Please provide your BIOs version.

Well my BIOS is: AWARD F2 (2009)
I ran my AMD Overdrive and it showed that SLOTS 2-3 were running Higher MHz @ 686MHz, and SLOTS 0-1 were running at 667 MHz
It's set-up for "Dual Channel"....

PS: HOW do I Delete Prior Image Downloads on Here, apparently I have reached my "Limit", so I can't send any more Images of either my AMD Control, or ATI-CCC, or EasyTune6

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:26 AM

First, how many sticks of RAM are you using. From your post, I am guessing 4? If so then it doesnt matter what slots you use, since all 4 will be filled.

Second, are they all the same stick of RAM or are you mixing types?

I ask this because they should be all the same freq if they are the same stick, the board should auto detect them.

Perhaps try using one stick at a time, testing them individually to see if each stick is the same, if you supposedly have 4 identical sticks.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

First, how many sticks of RAM are you using. From your post, I am guessing 4? If so then it doesnt matter what slots you use, since all 4 will be filled.

Second, are they all the same stick of RAM or are you mixing types?

I ask this because they should be all the same freq if they are the same stick, the board should auto detect them.

Perhaps try using one stick at a time, testing them individually to see if each stick is the same, if you supposedly have 4 identical sticks.

Yes, all 4 Sticks are Matched, bought them all together as 4 x 2GB
I went into BIOS couldn't Locate the "XMP" Control?? So, HOW & WHERE in BIOS?? As Far as my CPU goes, I believe it's running at 3.8 (AMD Phenom II x 4 955 Black Edition)

[attachment=101429:My System Stats.jpg]

#9 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

I cant find your BIOS online anywhere, do you have a version number?

The keywords award and f2 and throwing a bunch of useless links into the serach engine.

Since I am not famliar with your BIOS I cant help you any further. I am sorry.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#10 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

I cant find your BIOS online anywhere, do you have a version number?

The keywords award and f2 and throwing a bunch of useless links into the serach engine.

Since I am not famliar with your BIOS I cant help you any further. I am sorry.

Award Software International Inc., F2 (they also have a "E20" Version for this MB)
Is what it Shows on System Info...Perhaps, there's another Place to Look??

#11 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:08 AM

Go into the BIOS itself, it will tell you in there exactly. It will tell you something like AWARD BIOS Ver:xxxxxx or something.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 05 July 2011 - 06:10 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users