Model: Toshiba Satellite L305-S5894
The original symptoms were as follows:
Google Redirect Virus + Explicit Adware
BSOD 7b every 15-30 minutes. (minidumps attached, each BSOD seems to be caused by different HDD drivers, iastor.sys the main culprit)
First, I installed the latest chipset drivers. I attempted to install the latest Intel Storage Matrix Manager and driver (iastor.sys), however when I would run the program it would give me something along the lines of Incompatible System (Intel web pages said it was the one you would get if you tried to install 64 bit drivers on a 32 bit machine) However both versions of the driver would give this error, even though they said they were compatible with both 32 and 64 bit OSs.
Bluescreen problems continued, I tried uninstalling iastor.sys according to intel instructions on their website, however it did not show up in the Device manager and the Matrix Manager would not let me do anything as it would say "incorrectly installed or non responding drivers"
I could not complete a virus scan before it blue screened, so i proceeded to safe mode and performed a Malwarebytes full scan and a Super AntiSpyware Scan (logs attached)
However google redirect problems still happened, and so did bluescreens. A friend told me to run combofix (i just downloaded the link I was given and ran it...I didn't find out I wasn't supposed to run it on my own til after the fact).
I ran combofix, which printed an error in its blue console saying something to the effect of error using command, use Administrator console (i was running this program in Administrator mode). For some reason the Combofix log showed up as #2 (there is no #1 because the first time I ran it, the machine was not in safe mode and it BSOD during the scan, and it never gave me a log, during this first run it alerted me of bootkit activity). Following the combofix scan, I got the error "Illegal operation attempted on a registery key that has been marked for deletion" and restarted. Also in the combofix quarantine there was a text file relating to catchme.sys (included in the attached archive). Along with catchme.sys, there was the old MBR too.
Following this, the redirect virus was gone, however when not booting in safe mode the machine would bluescreen as soon as the login screen comes up. I did a memtest (turned out fine), tried a Vista startup repair (no dice) and then I used the Vista repair console to rewrite the MBR (bootrec.exe /fixmbr and bootrec.exe /fixboot) the repair console was successful in its operations. However, it did not fix the BSODs occuring.
So, I ran Gmer and DDs in safe mode, as whenever I try to boot regularly I get a BSOD STOP 0x0000008e (the info in the parenthesis changes every time) . Worse yet, no minidumps are created, the Memory.dmp is not created (the old one from the previous BSOD is still there) and even though I have the system set to not reset after BSOD, it restarts anyways...making it hard to get the additional codes in the parenthesis
All logs and dumps are included in the attached archive.
The HDD can be read by my desktop, so if I cannot fix this soon, I am simply going to backup then repair or reinstall vista.
Thanks for your efforts
Edited by Bonte, 18 June 2011 - 01:05 AM.