Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro won't load completely

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SDragon1984

SDragon1984

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

First, some background:

About a month ago, I started having some major computer issues, that ultimately turned out to be a dying motherboard trying to take down all of my hard drives with it. It took me awhile to do-- partly because of finances, partly because my then-working laptop was allowing me to procrastinate-- but I did finally manage to replace the old motherboard with a new one. After putting that in, I ran an XP Pro repair install, but that proved problematic. Some research later, and I disabled the installation of a few drivers-- specifically, the motherboard's serial port (like I'm ever going to use that!), and the Virtualbox network bridge (I can reinstall that).

Now for my current problem:

After disabling the driver installations, the repair install went smoothly. When booting, though, I don't get the splash screen (turns out boot.ini kept /nogui on), instead going black for awhile before asking for my username and password. I enter those, and it shows my old wallpaper... and that's it. It just hangs at that point. I can ctrl-alt-del into the task manager, which says I have explorer.exe running (but no taskbar or desktop icons!), but if I try to start another instance of explorer.exe, task manager just crashes, and although I can open a new instance of task manager, I can't kill the old one.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm avoiding a reformat like the plague, since I'd need to do a considerable backup of many important files, so I'm trying to address the problem directly. I'm just not sure how to do this, since I'm not even sure what the problem is, exactly. Is there anything that can be done?

One more thing; currently, XP isn't responding to my USB mouse and keyboard, instead only recognizing PS/2, which I used for the repair install. I have a feeling this might be just another symptom of the same problem. Maybe it's still a driver issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

While a repair install will often do the trick after a mobo replacement, your best bet is ALWAYS a format and reinstall. Sorry.

#3 SDragon1984

SDragon1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:09 AM

So there's absolutely no other possible way?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

I'd hesitate to make a definitive statement like that, but based on what you are describing I'd start from scratch.

#5 SDragon1984

SDragon1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

I ran chkdsk /r on one of my partitions, now XP seems to be booting just fine. It mentioned some stuff about setting IE6 settings, gave a few messages about recovering from some "major errors", and was fine. I'm going to check a few times to make sure that wasn't a fluke, then try installing my wirelass adapter and my video card drivers. I still have no clue what the issue is/was.

#6 Julie López

Julie López

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

Hi, The Issue you may have had was a malware miss function, or a possible hack. There really shouldn't be a reason on why your drive systems shouldn't had functioned right. If you opened the desktop and tried changing the miss functioned parts into new working parts like your USB ports it may be back to normal, you could find a CD for installing Ports although I can't seem to think of a reasonable explanation or you can wish you'r luck. Hope this helps out a little bit more.

#7 SDragon1984

SDragon1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:15 PM

Well, whatever that solution was, it lasted past a reboot. Just about everything is working fine, except...

The USB ports still aren't picking up my thumb drives. This means I still can't install drivers for my wireless and video cards. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I'll run MBAM tonight, by the way. I'll let you guys know if it picked anything up.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:33 AM

<<There really shouldn't be a reason on why your drive systems shouldn't had functioned right.>>

As previously stated, there are reasons. See Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html .

Louis

#9 SDragon1984

SDragon1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:28 PM

Like I said, I've managed to get XP working. My only problem now is that USB doesn't work properly-- I need a ps/2 keyboard to type in my password (the USB keyboard/mouse work shortly after), and my thumb drives aren't being recognized. I've even tried using the USB ports in the back, instead of the case front ports, but still no luck.

Should I just make a new thread for that problem?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:52 AM

Look in device manager. Any colored symbols?

#11 SDragon1984

SDragon1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

Look in device manager. Any colored symbols?

With a little yellow warning flag? Two, both called Unknown Device. One is in System Devices, the other is in Other Devices.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

Right click on each of those devices and choose "uninstall". Then reboot. Let's see if that helps at all. If not, I'm back to my original suggestion.

#13 SDragon1984

SDragon1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:58 AM

Trying that now. I'll post to let you know what happens.

#14 SDragon1984

SDragon1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

There's only one with a yellow flag now, called VGA Controller (it tried installing, but it couldn't because it didn't have internet access). When I plug in my thumb drive, I get the sound alert for a new USB device, and a new instance of USB Mass Storage Device shows up in the Device Manager, but no new drives show up on My Computer. Also, when right-clicking anything in explorer.exe (eg, the Start Menu, Icons, Folders), it gives me a notice window saying that it's installing... something.

Perhaps this is an issue with the shell?

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

While a repair install will often do the trick after a mobo replacement, your best bet is ALWAYS a format and reinstall. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users