Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just got PC back from Repairs - Problems already.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jakeandchase

jakeandchase

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

I am having multiple issues with my PC. I am starting to become furious as i just had repaired!
Here are the symptoms:
  • PC not booting, taking ages for the bios to even appear.
  • System randomly restarting.
  • System randomly hanging, both in the OS, loading the OS and even in the BIOS!
  • BSODs
  • Sometimes when it restarts or freezes the screen goes distorted.
Here is my latest BSOD report:
==================================================
Dump File         : 061811-29296-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 18/06/2011 10:36:06 AM
Bug Check String  : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code    : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1       : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2       : fffff960`00138b22
Parameter 3       : fffff880`09f320b0
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : win32k.sys
Caused By Address : win32k.sys+b8b22
File Description  : 
Product Name      : 
Company           : 
File Version      : 
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+7fd00
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\061811-29296-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 276,064
==================================================

I did a system restore of about 2 weeks but that did not fix the issue. I have ruled out a driver issue due to it freezing in BIOS. It even froze once while using the windows 7 repair CD. Could this be bad memory? Sometimes it can work up to about 6 hours with no issues.

Edited by jakeandchase, 17 June 2011 - 09:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Harlan Harris

Harlan Harris

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Yes it could be the memory and/or the hard drive. If you have 2 memory modules and they are easy to get to try removing only 1 and see the result. You could also remove the hard drive and see if it makes a difference booting into the bios.

Where did you have it fixed and what was it being fixed for.

#3 jakeandchase

jakeandchase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

The store i purchased it sent it back to asus, for a fault motherboard.

And i've tried switching the rams, putting only one in of each. Had the same issue no matter what i tried.

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

I am having multiple issues with my PC. I am starting to become furious as i just had repaired!
Here are the symptoms:

• PC not booting, taking ages for the bios to even appear.
  • System randomly restarting.
  • System randomly hanging, both in the OS, loading the OS and even in the BIOS!
  • BSODs
  • Sometimes when it restarts or freezes the screen goes distorted.

Does it take ages to get into BIOS, or does it take ages for the initial boot splash screen to appear showing the option to get into BIOS?
If it takes awhile to get into BIOS after hitting F1, F2, Del, or whatever key you hit to get into BIOS, then your problem could be just about anything. I would start with the hard drive, then the motherboard/CPU. If neither of those were the culprit, then the power supply would be my next bet.
If it takes forever to get to the initial boot splash screen, then your most likely culprit would be the motherboard or CPU.
From your symptom list, your most likely culprits are the mobo, cpu, or hard drive. A smaller likelihood would be the memory or power supply, but anything is possible. Also, by that last item on the list, your graphics could be going. If you have integrated graphics on the mobo, try buying/borrowing a cheap video card and install it. See if that fixes your problem. I wouldn't hold my breath on that, but you just never know.

If it's still under warranty, I'd take it back and tell them they didn't fix it by replacing the mobo. If not under warranty, find a small time repair guy locally and give them a call if you don't think you can handle it yourself. Sorry for giving you so many options, but with so many symptoms during the initial boot process of the computer, the cause could literally be anything right down to a faulty power cord. I've seen a visibly undamaged power cord cause the oddest of problems in a computer.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#5 jakeandchase

jakeandchase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

If it takes forever to get to the initial boot splash screen, then your most likely culprit would be the motherboard or CPU.

This one.

I have a ATI HD Radeon 6850. Great gaming video card.

Edited by jakeandchase, 17 June 2011 - 11:04 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:00 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Your system error is the following:

Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b

If you click my link below this will explain what this error is related to in Windows 7 operating systems.

This issue occurs because of an error in the Microsoft IEEE 1394 driver stack, in which the buffer that is allocated to the driver stack does not initialize correctly.

There is a hot fix available on that page at the upper left corner, click that link agree to the agreement and download the hot fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980932

This is the short cut link to the hot fix agreement. http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=980932&kbln=en-us

Best of luck to you.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 jakeandchase

jakeandchase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Your system error is the following:

Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b

If you click my link below this will explain what this error is related to in Windows 7 operating systems.

This issue occurs because of an error in the Microsoft IEEE 1394 driver stack, in which the buffer that is allocated to the driver stack does not initialize correctly.

There is a hot fix available on that page at the upper left corner, click that link agree to the agreement and download the hot fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980932

This is the short cut link to the hot fix agreement. http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=980932&kbln=en-us

Best of luck to you.

Bruce.

Did this but got an error when trying to install?
Posted Image

#8 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:50 PM

This one.

I have a ATI HD Radeon 6850. Great gaming video card.

From that alone, I would lean much more toward a hardware problem than a software problem. If Asus replaced the mobo, it's time to start replacing parts one at a time until you find the guilty one. I'd start with memory first (cheapest and easiest to replace/troubleshoot). If new ram doesn't help, I'd get another hard drive. Install it and load Windows on it. If the issue persists, just keep going with different components. One of them is your culprit.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

Which version of Windows 7 OS are you running and is it 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

If it is at all possible, can you please follow these instructions below and post a screen shot of your system?

If for any reason, you can not follow those instructions do to not being able to get on-line, you can post a text, but If you post the entire text, you have to search through it and locate your Windows product key and remove it before copy and pasting it and publishing it in the forum board.

You should NOT have to do that if you can post the Speccy URL as that does NOT show your Windows product key. :thumbup2:

How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to post your computer's specifications to the forum with minimal effort on your part. This is often helpful when troubleshooting problems, and the person helping you needs to see the details of your computer's hardware.

Tools Needed
  • Speccy - First, you will need a program called Speccy. According to Piriform: "Speccy is an advanced system information tool for your PC." This is a very useful utility that every PC user should have in their arsenal.

Instructions
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click [b]Add Reply
    below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

I will be watching for your reply. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 jakeandchase

jakeandchase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

I know of speccy, i have it installed already. I will post my link.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

Okay we'll be waiting.

Bruce.

#12 jakeandchase

jakeandchase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

Sorry, i have been really busy with exams. They finished today.

Here is the link to my speccy:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/SRRi0TvoKZ1TqlCa0b6ajgh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users