Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble w/ Sound, Audio, Devices, Drivers, etc

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PonyBoy99

PonyBoy99

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

SEQUENCE

Last week, my screen went black twice (computer still ON but not responsive). The first instance was while viewing a YouTube video (one I'd never visited before). The second instance was while ejecting a CD; the instant the tray ejected, the screen went to black. These two incidents happened about four days apart. After each incident (after unplugging/re-plugging computer) I got blue screen with a "STOP" message. The most recent one read, "STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x806F1753, 0xF8A62C28, 0xF8A62924)". I've since had three or four more loss-of-computer incidents. After unplug/re-plug, I've gotten black screen messages that give me start-up(?) options. I choose the "Most Recent Good Configuration" option.

In an attempt to better the situation, I went to the DELL website, downloaded and installed the 14 device drivers, etc, that were recommended after I allowed DELL to "look at" my system. I now have no audio when going online (YouTube) or when trying to listen to Windows Media Player. (I do hear a faint buzz from the computer when I get a new email message [there have been a few other instances but I don't recall details]). I can't even find a reference to SoundBlaster on my computer anymore. It is not showing in Control Panel. I found the disk and reinstalled, but still no audio. Device Manager doesn't seem to see an installed sound device or audio device.

I DID do some searching/reading before posting this, but I'm an old guy (with old eyes) whose gettin' worn out by this situation. I've been using computers since '93, but I'm not very computer savvy when it comes to the real technical stuff (obviously). I seem to be making my situation worse rather than better, so I figured I'd best get some help. Many blessings on your tents and camels for any help you can provide.

SYSTEM INFO:
Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition) Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Dell Dimension DIM2400 Intel Celeron CPU 2.4GHz 2.39GHz, 512 MB of RAM

In Device Manager, there are several items showing under "Sound, video and game controllers". Two of them have an exclamation mark on a yellow circle. (I tried to paste an "Alt + PrntScrn" of Device Manager here, but could not get it to display.

If you're still reading this, THANK YOU so much for stickin' with it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PonyBoy99

PonyBoy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

Sorry. Let me be a little more specific (and a bit clearer).

SoundBlaster was what was on my computer for many years. After fooling with the DELL-recommended driver instalation, I could find SB no more. I re-installed and it DOES now show in Control Panel, but it ain't a-givin' me no sound.

Device Manager DOES show some sound/audio items. BUT..... when I go to Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices, the following is what is seen:

Volume Tab: "No Audio Device"
Sounds Tab: "Sound scheme: Windows Default"
Audio Tab: "Sound playback Default device: No Playback Devices"
"Sound recording Default device: No Recording Devices"
"MIDI music playback Default device: No MIDI Playback Devices"

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:35 AM

First...try the following, Remove Unused Drivers and Devices - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/UserTips/TroubleShooting/RemoveUnusedDriversandDevices.html

Reboot.

Insert the Dell Drivers CD...and run it.

It should install all original drivers automatically, I believe.

Then...take a look in Device Manager and see what items have yellow markings...post same.

Louis

#4 PonyBoy99

PonyBoy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

hamluis,

Bless you, my friend.

I followed the instructions. The Device Manager still shows the same items as before the attempted fix. The items with exclamation points on a yellow circle are: Modem Audio Device and Multimedia Audio Controller (see attachment). The hidden items do not now appear; they seem to have been successfully uninstalled.

I still get a low buzz when I have a Windows event, but no audio. (NOTE: I did not uninstall the LONG list of "Non Plug and Play" devices that displayed at "Show Hidden Devices". Was I supposed to do that, too?)

Thanks again!

Attached Files

#5 PonyBoy99

PonyBoy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

hamluis,

I've jumped-the-gun on you, I'm afraid. I went to Device Manager, right-clicked on the two highlighted items and saw menus that let me install drivers. I did so and I NOW HAVE AUDIO AND NORMAL WINDOWS SOUNDS! (I'm listening to Johnny Winter, Stones, Zappa, etc. Life is good again). BUT, while listening to a CD, the computer crashed again. After unplug/re-plug, Windows restarted normally.... no messages. When installing the drivers, I got a string of "DO NOT INSTALL" warnings ("did not pass Windows logo testing"). I usually bow to these kinds of things, but decided to continue installing since what was being installed was either a re-install or a DELL website recommended install.

Please advise if you think these problems have been connected or am I just having a bad computers week? (Timing suggests the former, to me). I thought a new install of drivers would cure the shutdown-while-playing-CD problem, but I guess I'm wrong. The computer has plenty of unused hard drive space, I keep anti-virus, anti-malware, and security apps updated. I don't use the CD player very much. I AM considering adding another 512MB of memory (maybe more), but I don't want to do that if my system is about to give up the ghost. (Oh, and my wife watches a lot of Chinese soap operas on the 'net. It's the CCTV stuff. It doesn't seem to have caused any problems, although the Spybot "immunize" screen does, at times, show some interesting numbers for her user domain listing.)

Any opinions, suggestions, criticisms, etc, will be much appreciated. And THANK YOU, again, for your help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:05 AM

<<When installing the drivers, I got a string of "DO NOT INSTALL" warnings ("did not pass Windows logo testing").>>

Those are standard warnings by Windows...they literally don't mean anything significant, since many drivers fall into the category mentioned.

Dell System Documentation

I can't tell you what is wrong with your system, based on what you have described thus far...I rely on error messages and known symptoms of various problems.

That's an older system...it just may be time to do a clean install...it could be a hardware problem...and so on. I would start with a clean install myself, it's much easier to pin down problems if the O/S is eliminated as a suspect.

If you still only have 512MB of RAM installed...and the system previously worked fine with that amount...I see no rason to add more RAM.

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2011 - 06:47 AM.

#7 PonyBoy99

PonyBoy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

When I click on the .exe file, the window pops up immediately. I don't see any scanning taking place. The screen does indicate "No crashes". I did click "Edit/Select All" per your instructions, but "Save Selected Items" was greyed-out under "File". The attached WORD document is all I have to show, at this point.

Attached Files

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:54 AM

With BlueScreenView...the scanning taakes place before the screen appears.

A screen with no data indicates that there are no .dmp files in the designated folder.

That's normally good :), except for the fact that you reported getting at least one BSOD.

Have you run the Dell Diagnostics package on your system?

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Louis

#9 PonyBoy99

PonyBoy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

Thank you for the link. I just completed running the DELL diagnostic package.

I got no report of any kind. At the end of testing the diagnostic menu screen returned.

I ended a particular test because I thought the screen remained unchanged for too long. I think this was a mistake on my part; the screen displayed: "user response" indicated failure of one of the solid color panels.

The CD test kept telling me that my CD-ROM did not contain digital data. I inserted three different disks and got the same message each time. (Two of the disks were DELL software installation disks and the third was a music CD. They were nothing other than digital data.) I finally stopped that particular test. The diagnostic then tested the CD player, I guess, as the LED for the CD player kept blinking while I could hear the player running. I got no message. The diagnostic went on to further tests.

I ran BlueScreenView again, after the diagnostic. 'Still "no crashes".

Thanks, again, Louis. I'm learning a lot here. (Where-to now)?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:28 AM

At this point...what are your complaints about the system?

Louis

#11 PonyBoy99

PonyBoy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

Just about every evening I still get a shutdown of computer/Windows(?) [black screen]. When I unplug/re-plug one of three things will happen:

1. Windows will start normally
2. I have to unplug/re-plug a second time, because the first instance gives me only a black screen with the small DELL logo in a thin blue line across the top. This flashes and the screen then goes black. The second unplug/re-plug yields a regular startup.
3. A message displays on a black screen. The message is the one that notes that there has been an unexpected shutdown. It gives me options for starting Windows. I always make the "Last Known Good Configuration" selection. Windows then starts as usual.

I'm not knowingly doing anything funky, just reading webpages and, usually, listening to some music on YouTube. If and when another shutdown occurs, I'll try to be more observant and record more specifics. Hopefully, that'll yield some clues.

THANK YOU, yet again, Louis. Your patience and help are much appreciated. (I'm a little embarrassed at my ignorance of this stuff, but at least I know my limitations).

PonyBoy99

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:52 AM

Well...I don't see much to go on.

I would say that it appears that you have a hardware problem, which is why I suggested running Dell Diagnostics.

Louis

#13 PonyBoy99

PonyBoy99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

The DELL diagnostic didn't give me a report, so I really didn't know what to make of it. BUT NOW...

I turned off the computer about 6am today. I just turned it on and things aren't lookin' good. I'll describe the sequence of events later if you want, but I did get a crash (see below):

==================================================
Dump File : Mini062311-01.dmp
Crash Time : 6/23/2011 7:36:07 PM
Bug Check String : UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Bug Check Code : 0x1000007f
Parameter 1 : 0x00000008
Parameter 2 : 0x80042000
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+a622
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.6055 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+a622
Stack Address 1 : ntoskrnl.exe+8235
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini062311-01.dmp
Processors Count : 1
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 90,112
==================================================

Please help. Thanks.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

See 7F in left column at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm .

I can't tell you what hardware (If any) is the real problem...but you may want to check out your RAM by running the following diagnostic.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users