Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Top portion of firefox window missing and constant error popups

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 Mifferette

Mifferette

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hi,

I was previously being helped in another thread. Here's the link. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic402605.html/page__p__2283536__fromsearch__1#entry2283536

I was told to follow the steps in the preparation guide and to then post a new thread here.

After 2 hrs of using my computer, the top portion of firefox and other windows will be missing along with text.
Soon after nothing can be viewed in the window and it starts to become extremely slow.
If I try to reopen firefox I will get this message
"C;\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ xul.dull is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"

If I try to open things in the control panel I will get this message "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application".
I cannot shut down or restart my computer when this happens.

Mbam scans do not find anything.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I do not want to buy a new computer...

I included all the logs from the preparation guide.

Thanks in Advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blind Faith

Blind Faith

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer :welcome:

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review your topic an do their best to resolve your issues.

If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit scanner. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

Elle
Can you hear it?It's all around!

Tomar ki manè acchè?
Yadi thakè, tahalè
Ki kshama kartè paro
?

If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM.

Posted Image

#3 Mifferette

Mifferette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

Hi

I posted a new DDS log and GMER Log.

After going through the preparation guide steps, my computer 'seemed' fine. I was and am not running into the same problems as I described in the first post.
I am a little hesitant to say that my computer is working fine. Did the guide really 'fix' it?

Thanks,

Attached Files

#4 Blade81

Blade81

Bleepin' Rocker

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,465 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:29 AM

Hi,

uTorrent

Above listed ones are P2P file sharing programs. P2P downloads are nowadays one of those things that most likely bring infection into the system. My recommendation is to uninstall these (and other if present) P2P file sharing programs.

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix tool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Please ensure you read this guide carefully first.

Please continue as follows:

• Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix, link
    Remember to re-enable them afterwards.

• Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please include the following reports for further review, and so we may continue cleansing the system:

C:\ComboFix.txt
New dds log.

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.

Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2017

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2015
UNITE member since 2006
unite_blue.png

Provided malware removal related instructions are meant to be used in the correspondent user's case only. If you have similar symptoms create own topic instead of following instructions given to some other, please.

#5 Mifferette

Mifferette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

Hi,

I followed the Combofix guide. Everything went fine until after I saved the combofix log to my desktop, I went to restart my computer to connect back to the internet. I couldn't restart or shutdown so I did a force shut down. When the computer starts up it gets stuck at the blue windows xp splash screen. I tried safe mode and this still happens.
What do I do? Can anything be done?

#6 Blade81

Blade81

Bleepin' Rocker

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,465 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:58 AM

Hi,

Do you mean blue screen with error message? If so could you post contents of the message, please?

UNITE member since 2006
unite_blue.png

Provided malware removal related instructions are meant to be used in the correspondent user's case only. If you have similar symptoms create own topic instead of following instructions given to some other, please.

#7 Mifferette

Mifferette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:59 AM

Hi,

No, it's not a blue error screen message.
I attached a screen shot of what my screen looks like.

Attached Files

#8 Blade81

Blade81

Bleepin' Rocker

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,465 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

Hi,

Does it offer Microsoft Recovery Console option when you start the system?

Edited by Blade81, 03 July 2011 - 09:51 AM.

UNITE member since 2006
unite_blue.png

#9 Mifferette

Mifferette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

Hi,

Yes, but I have choose it quickly before the screen changes

#10 Blade81

Blade81

Bleepin' Rocker

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,465 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

Ok. Let's try to restore back to earlier state with recovery console

1. Restart your computer
2. Before Windows loads, you will be prompted to choose which Operating System to start
3. Use the up and down arrow key to select Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
4. You must enter which Windows installation to log onto. Type 1 and press enter.
5. At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following bolded text, and press Enter:

cd erdnt\subs

6. At the next prompt, type the following bolded text, and press Enter:

batch erdnt.con

7. The erunt backups will begin copying.
8. At the next prompt, type the following bolded text, and press Enter:

exit

If all goes well Windows should load to desktop (in that case post fresh dds logs).

UNITE member since 2006
unite_blue.png

#11 Mifferette

Mifferette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Hi,

Followed all the steps in the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console and I attached new dds and attach logs.
I also attached my combofix log.

Thanks,

Attached Files

#12 Blade81

Blade81

Bleepin' Rocker

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,465 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:55 AM

Hi,

Please run ComboFix again (let it update itself). Post back the report + fresh dds logs.

UNITE member since 2006
unite_blue.png

#13 Mifferette

Mifferette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

Hi,

I ran ComboFix and everything went fine until I went to restart my computer and the same thing happened as the first time. The screen gets stuck as the windows blue splash screen.
Should I followed the recovery console steps again?

#14 Blade81

Blade81

Bleepin' Rocker

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,465 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

Please do.

UNITE member since 2006
unite_blue.png

#15 Mifferette

Mifferette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hi,

The recovery Console went fine. After windows start page loads I got this message:
"C:\\ComboFix\CF30778.cfxxe Windows cannot find 'C:\\ComboFix\CF30778.cfxxxe.' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try again. To search for a file; click the start button and then click search"

Even though I saved the log for the second time, I cannot find it.

What should I do now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users