Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN to Non VPN router connection? Possible?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

OK... I am going off to college in the fall (GO UGA DAWGS!) and quite frankly, it would be so much easier to just remain a part of my home lan... I am bringing a desktop, as well as a macbook, and a wrt54gl router already fitted with tomatovpn firmware. So my part of the deal is done... I have a lan with vpn capabilities.

Back here at home, we have a lan and a BEFSR41 router, which does not not support vpn, only vpn passthrough.

I was just chatting with a linksys agent, and after convincing him to "hypothetically" say I have a befsx41 (which has vpn) and a wrt54g with linksys firmware (that way it is still one with vpn, and one with vpn passthrough), that I would need to open a few ports on the secondary router (non vpn) and that would allow it to act as a vpn end point.... This sounds a little hard to believe, so I questioned him if he knew which ports I should forward, and he told me that because it was tomatovpn (came up earlier in the convo) I would need to consult with the openvpn paperwork to find the ports.

The reasons I need to have access to the lan are:

1. I have a WHS running, and would like access to my media files as well as continue backups remotely from college

2. I am essentially the "IT" department for our family of 5, and remote access is much easier than telling your mom to enter the command prompt over the phone... and I would much rather do it with my own network than rely on logmein.com

3. I will most likely be setting our family up with a centralized calendar service or maybe even an exchange server, and would like all devices to be able to download the latest events without using google calender...

4. Ease of transfer of files over lan is way too valuable to lose.

Now I am more proficient than the average user with networks, but I am by no means cisco certified, and when you start getting into layers and mac address cloning and all, you begin to lose me... Really, I have never set up a vpn before, but I am pretty much learning as I go, and its not too difficult.

Basically, was the linksys tech just blowing smoke when he said it was possible with only one vpn router and some ports, or is there another way I can do this? I also do not want to have the wrt54gl be the primary in-point and have the house be a subnet, because then it would run through the uga network which I'm sure is slower and much more monitored....

Thanks for any help guys! feel free to tell me that I am completely wrong if I am, I don't take offense over the internet ;P

Edited by ph7ryan, 17 June 2011 - 07:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

I guess if it all came down to being too much of a headache, (such as constantly open vpn connections from each pc home side to the vpn server college side) or having anyone home side actually have to connect (they are about as dependent as two year olds when it comes to computer issues... "Ryan!"), then I could always just go with buying the vpn version of the router for cheap...

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Linksys-EtherFast-BEFSX41-Wired-Router-/54851469

I would prefer to get out of this penny free though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users